20D lense range needed

AckleyImproved

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

Being newish to the digital SLR photography I am deciding on what lenses to buy, and brand etc.

At the moment, I have a Tamron Af 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II lense.

I am after maybe a true marco lense.. for insects etc.... Sigma/Tamron/Canon?
I will buy a Canon lense if the lense is much better than the others.. but if the differences are limited.....

Thoughts on a wide angle lense. I.m thinking the canon 10-22 or a Tamron SP AF11-18 F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical!!

Telephoto lense??? Canon 100-400 or again.. do other brands come close...

The ideal answer is to buy all Canon lenses I suppose!!

How do sigma and Tamron rate..

Thanks for all answers.... This should set myself up nicely!

Ackley

the Sigma 105mm Macro lens rates pretty well against the Canon one although the price is still quite high.. (i'm hoping to lay my hands on one of these at some point).

Each lens maker has different ranges of quality. Don't expect to find a fantastic zoom lens for $200. In most cases, you get what you pay for. Sigma & Tamron do have some great lenses and they may be slightly less expensive than equivalent Canon lenses. On the other hand, Canon has some crappy lenses in the line-up.

What lenses you should get...is up to you. You have to figure out what & how you want to shoot. You have to decide how much you can spend. Unless you have a lot of money, it's almost always a compromise between what you want and what you can afford. Canon 'L' glass (lenses with 'L' in the name) are the best for your camera...but the prices are astronomical in most cases.

Most reactions

Back