20mm F2.8D Lens v. 18-105mm F3.5-5.6

ShutterSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Before returning back to the Brazil during my U.S. trip I want to make one more purchase.
Financially, I can afford probably one item.

Today, I learned that I won't be able to find a new sb-600 nikon flash as they have been discontinued.

So, I was thinking of waiting until December to use my christmas bonus to invest in the additional flashes and purchase a needed lens now.

So, I've sold my 18-55 lens with D60 that I had.
Now with a Nikon d7000 and 3 lenses, i lack the focal lengths in the 18-35 range. So I thought that the 20mm lens listed above would be great.

But, 18-105 is a very practical range.

thoughts?

With a full frame like a D700 the 20mm is a good option but with the D7000 it's like a 30mm, not really an interesting range for me. What type of photo do you like?

apples and oranges

i know they're not the same.
i was asking about the usefulness since i had to sell the 18-55 I had with my old d60, I thought of just putting a 20mm there to get close to that range..and compensate for the gaps between 20mm, 35mm, and 50mm with physical proximity.
however, no one responded and I went with the 18-105, which is going to be more practical. I really needed that range for party pics that I get hired for. You can't always fit in everyone with a 35 without taking 10 steps back...so, since the d7000 allows me to use my sb600 off camera..i'll just let the flash help with the lighting in those circumstances...

I'd reccomend another option, albeit slightly more expensive, look into a Tamron 17-50 2.8. It's a wide, fast lens that covers a very useful range of focal lengths. Sells new For $450-500 I believe, But I've seen them used for $350

I'd reccomend another option, albeit slightly more expensive, look into a Tamron 17-50 2.8. It's a wide, fast lens that covers a very useful range of focal lengths. Sells new For $450-500 I believe, But I've seen them used for $350

That's a good option. I considered going off brand when I did my shopping online. But I'm not familiar with Tamroms or Sigmas, so I just stayed with the Nikon lens. While it's maximum aperture is 3.5, I'll get a useful and practical range for certain situations. Otherwise, I just stick with 35mm prime or 50mm prime all the time.

heh, Here we go again, Destin and I on opposite sides :)

I prefer primes. The difference between focal lengths is just a few steps so I prefer the quality of images I get from primes. Anyway, I prefer the 24mm 2.8D to the 20mm 2.8D unless I really need the extra wideness. Personally I would go 18mm 2.8D, 24mm 2.8D, 50mm 1.4D, 85mm 1.8D, 105mm 2.8D Micro, actually, except for the 18mm (which I will be ordering in a few weeks) that is what I normally use. I have a 24-70 2.8 but rarely use it opting instead for the primes.

Allan

Oh, I defintley prefer primes if I'm shooting seriously, because they are so much better optically. (addmittedley I only have a 50 1.8 now, but more primes are next on my list of things to buy) But for a walk around lens, to use indoors, for family photos, I'm going with a zoom all day, because the photos are good enough, and its simply easier. Heck, half the time for indoor famliy photos I just go with a P&S because I tend to worry about image quality too much when I pull my dslr out.

I'll 2nd this, it's only slightly more expensive then the 20mm prime, but a lot more versatile.I love the 20mm on full frame, but don't think it's nearly as useful on a crop sensor camera.

Tamron also makes a 28-75mm f2.8 that you can get for around $400 new. great lens. I highly recommend fixed aperture as opposed variable aperture like 3.5-5.6.

as for the 20mm. Do you think you would take a lot of shots at 20mm? id put in a third for that tamron 17-50 f2.8.

Tamron also makes a 28-75mm f2.8 that you can get for around $400 new. great lens. I highly recommend fixed aperture as opposed variable aperture like 3.5-5.6.

as for the 20mm. Do you think you would take a lot of shots at 20mm? id put in a third for that tamron 17-50 f2.8.

The 28-75 is probably a great lens on full frame cameras. But with a 1.6x crop factor it becomes roughly a 43-112mm lens. That's not very wide, at all. Just pointing this out so it's clear to the OP

18-105 is a decent lens, thats the one i use for a walkaround lens. i might have missed it but what is your budget? thats a good place to start imo. i see a lot of people worrying about filling gaps in the focal length range, usually theres enough room to take a step back or a step forward :)

and fwiw check out the 35mm 1.8 af-s. great lens thats pretty cheap too. i really like prime lenses a whole lot more, once you get used to them the fixed focal length "con" solves itself. in fact i rarely zoom any of my zoom lenses haha.

The 28-75 is probably a great lens on full frame cameras. But with a 1.6x crop factor it becomes roughly a 43-112mm lens. That's not very wide, at all. Just pointing this out so it's clear to the OP

Maybe a tamron 10-24?

18-105 is a decent lens, thats the one i use for a walkaround lens. i might have missed it but what is your budget? thats a good place to start imo. i see a lot of people worrying about filling gaps in the focal length range, usually theres enough room to take a step back or a step forward :)

and fwiw check out the 35mm 1.8 af-s. great lens thats pretty cheap too. i really like prime lenses a whole lot more, once you get used to them the fixed focal length "con" solves itself. in fact i rarely zoom any of my zoom lenses haha.

I purchased the 18-105, and I was on a bit of a timeline. And the suggestions for the other lenses basically came after the purchase.
I use primes as well. I love them. I shoot almost everything on 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8. I wanted the 18-55 range that I sold off with my old camera. So the 18-105 is good for day time stuff, but for a night time or dark setting, i would never use it without sufficient lighting.

Hey Y'all,

Would I be duplicating by getting a 20mm prime lens when I have a 18-105 zoom?

Is the prime 20mm lens really a step up and offer any more "wideness" to a photo?

I was looking at the 10.5mm lens and it sure looks hot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back