What's new

Beginner Gear Question/Dilemma

Thanks so much for starting this thread, as I am an ABSOLUTE beginner, but I want all the tips I can acquire. I’ve also recently started “birding,” and I hope to be able to blend the two activities successfully.

Thanks,
Pete Ruma
 
What editing software would you recommend for a beginner?
Well, first question: do you have a Mac or Windows? If you have a Mac, then your iPad or laptop comes with "Photos." It's a good starting editing program if you have no experience doing this. It's easy to learn. It will allow you to do basic stuff (crop, brighten, convert to B&W, clone out some objects) but it's basic.

Now, if you're talking programs that won't come with your computer (most of which you'll need to buy):

--The one most professionals use is Adobe Creative Suite/Photoshop. If you're trading work with a creative director or working on a team, it's the way to go. But it's got a steep learning curve, you won't use 95% of what it does, and it requires a monthly license fee (ie: you're renting it)

--Lightroom: it's sort of Photoshop "lite" (doesn't do everything PS does, has good storage/organizing capability, still has a monthly license fee but less than Create Suite/PS).

--Luminar: It gets good reviews (although I've never used it) and it's a one-time fee of $119. No idea how quickly a beginner can pick it up.

--GIMP: free. Does a lot of stuff PS does but it's clunky (because it's open source) and has a steep learning curve.

--Affinity Photo: what I use. One time fee of $75. I'm very happy with it. I think the learning curve is less than GIMP or PS, I can't compare it to Luminar Neo.

--Pixlr: free. I've never used it. The people I know who do use it find they need a second or third program to be able to do the things they want with their edits. So my second-hand thinking on this is, Pixlr might be a good way to start but you'll end up getting another program anyway so don't view it as "I'll get this and I'll be fine."
 
I actually do appreciate it. It's a lot of common sense that I need as it's really easy to get caught up in the idea that more megapixels or a better lens or a different camera can make you better, when really I just need to learn the basics and get as much experience as possible
I believe that's exactly what the camera company's want you to think! Truth is I doubt many people out there, including pro's, can tell the difference between a well done digital shot and a well done 35mm shot!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom