2nd attempt at macro : The Phantom Opera Ghost

Marc-Etienne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

Here is a example of my second macro attempt looks like. My setup was pretty simple. I installed a match in a pair of locking plier on the edge of the kitchen sink (safety first!;)). The use of my remote made this WAY easier!

It was shot with a Nikon D90, a Sigma 105mm macro and a Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ flash with a softbox. I don't really know if the softbox was necessary for that shot. I just finished my DIY softbox made out of tin foil and cardboard and felt like giving it a try.

Please tell me what you think? What should I work on? What do you like?

allumette.jpg

Shutter: 1/200
Aperture: F/20
ISO: 200
Focal length: 105mm
Magnification ratio: 1:1

I really like it myself. I don't know about anyone else but I think I'd like to see the entire flame. Other than that I love the dark background and of the course the detail is sweet.

That would be kind of a neat photo if that big oval watermark were not ruining it.

Next time, I'll make sure it's straight and include the full flame. Thanks a lot for commenting and helping me progress.
I'll work on the watermark also Derrel. Thanks

i like it. I like the fact you got the match at the 1/2 way point. That adds a lot imo. The water mark is distracting tho. too much contrast :(

i like it. I like the fact you got the match at the 1/2 way point. That adds a lot imo. The water mark is distracting tho. too much contrast :(
That would be kind of a neat photo if that big oval watermark were not ruining it.
maybe the match stick completely vertical, not slanted slightly
Is this better in term of watermark? Thanks for pointing this out, because I wasn't really paying attention to it. I also straighten it. Now the flame will require a reshoot. What do you guys think? Better?

allumette.jpg

Most reactions

Back