What camera would you buy (expanding on my other question)?

Naturally. Similar number of pixels spread out over a larger area = larger pixels.

I think the noise from the higher pixel density is due to interference caused by the conversion of photons into electrical impulses in pixels that are next to each other. Closer=more chance of interference. Someone will know the science. I have also heard that any sensor will produce less noise when it is very cold.

I think the noise from the higher pixel density is due to interference caused by the conversion of photons into electrical impulses in pixels that are next to each other. Closer=more chance of interference. Someone will know the science. I have also heard that any sensor will produce less noise when it is very cold.
The only place that "photons" exist is in science fiction.

The science is this; larger pixels = more light being gathered.

I don't know why noise entered this discussion.

The only place that "photons" exist is in science fiction

Not sure I understand that point. I agree...let's end this. I only wanted to point out that there are significant advantages to full frame. I was guided by a pro to move up for many reasons including low light performance and I am glad I did. Just passing that along in a friendly way.

D3,D700,D600,D610,D3s,D800,in more or less that order,given,your lenses and your subjects.

If shooting sports indoors is important then you really need a full frame. The low light capabilities are so much better.
How does a larger sensor help in low light?

If you're talking about a Nikon D3, then, yes, that sensor does have phenomenal low light performance, but just having a "full size" sensor means nothing by itself. For instance; the Nikon D850 (FX "full frame") and D500 (DX "crop sensor") both have the same pixel pitch, which means they will perform about the same in low light. A larger sensor will not in and of itself have better low light performance.

FF sensors are physically larger than APS-C or 4/3 sensors, so for the same mp, like 24mp, the pixels on the full frame are larger, they collect more light with less noise. I have both a D850 and D500. The D850 sensor is brand new, 45mp, with the connectors underneath the chip allowing the pixels to stay bigger compared to a chip with the connectors on the imaging plane. The ISO range for the D850 is 64-25,600 for the D500 it's 100- 51,200, big difference especially 46mp compared to 21mp. Comparing the pixel densities D850 = (8256 x 5504) / (35.9 x 23.9) = 52,960 pixels / mm^2 vs D500 = (5568 x 3712 ) / ( 23.5 x 15.7) = 56019 pixels / mm^2. While they are similar, you can see the D850s pixels are larger than the D500s pixels, which is one of the reasons the ISO for the 850 starts at 64 while its 100 for the D500. If you compare FF vs DX both at 24mp, you will see a much, much bigger difference.

You want a $500 to $1,000 used body?

You want a $500 to $1,000 used body?

Yes, this!! I didn't realize this post was still getting responses...I've been trying to figure out a way to make a d500 happen, but there's a huge hurdle for me between $500 and $1300 (where I'm seeing the d500 bodies, minimum) and I just don't think I can justify it. I'm not a professional by any stretch, I'm really just a mom who has spent too much time on enthusiast/pro photo forums so I'm a little more "judgy" about my photos than the average person! Ideally I would find the best camera for indoor sports (basketball & volleyball in particular)...I think that's the biggest challenge for me. The other things I use a camera for (outdoor sports, portraits, random artsy stuff, macro, ordinary snaps) I think are well within the capabilities of any camera I'm looking at and my combo of lenses or other lenses I'd buy in the future.

I saw your other post: D3,D700,D600,D610,D3s,D800,in more or less that order,given,your lenses and your subjects. I'll do some research on those, thank you! Any advantage to a more recently released model?

Katie

I think Derrel's list of cameras was to indicate the low light performance of each in descending order. I see that the D700 is #2, very good low light performance. If that triggers anything for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back