Michaelaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ducklaunch.jpg

... like water off a ducks back. :)

:thumbsup: Excellant shot.

Hmm, here I was thinking he was "strafing the ground". I guess water from taking off out of whatever water he was in explains it...

This is so perfect!
Had I attempted to capture a scene of the kind, I am SURE I'd have got the focus wrong! Yours is spot-on though, and the whole duck is inside your frame, too, nowhere does the border clip off any wing feathers (which would be the second thing that'd have happened to MY attempt to capture this scene!), so ... :thumbup: ! Perfect.

WOW...thats awesome...I'm still very new at photography(6 months) so this may be one of those obvious questions, I apologize if it is.
1. for a shot like this, would you find a location where there are many ducks(or birds), sit/wait a fair distance away(depending on the zoom you have) and just wait for THE shot, or would you fire off a lot of shots and hope you get something thats nice in the lot?
2. Would you also use a tripod, or a monopod?
3. Would a 70-200mm zoom lens be good for this kind of photography?

WOW...thats awesome...I'm still very new at photography(6 months) so this may be one of those obvious questions, I apologize if it is.
1. for a shot like this, would you find a location where there are many ducks(or birds), sit/wait a fair distance away(depending on the zoom you have) and just wait for THE shot, or would you fire off a lot of shots and hope you get something thats nice in the lot?
2. Would you also use a tripod, or a monopod?
3. Would a 70-200mm zoom lens be good for this kind of photography?

(1) I find a duck in the woods and get as close as I can without the bird getting too nervous. I select an ISO that will allow me to get a fast shutter speed (ISO 400 allowed for 1/1200 sec here) then raise up the camera to match where I think the duck is going to go when it flies away to check I wont be badly over or under exposed. When I find a happy medium, I start taking shots of the duck foraging for food. I get closer to the duck so as it's body language and low quacking says it's about to bolt....One more step and....Away she flies. At which time I follow the bird as best I can trying all the while to keep it in frame and comp and take four or five good shots hoping the auto focus gets a good lock.

(2) I don't use tripods for my nature stuff but instead rely on the OIS and my method of holding the 70-300 lens. I use my right hand to hold the camera while my left arm is up in front of me acting as a cradle for the lens.

(3) This was taken with a 70-300mm and I was at the 170mm mark, so yes your 70-200 would have got this shot with ease. Also my 70-300 is NOT a fast lens

Hope this helps:D

(1) I find a duck in the woods and get as close as I can without the bird getting too nervous. I select an ISO that will allow me to get a fast shutter speed (ISO 400 allowed for 1/1200 sec here) then raise up the camera to match where I think the duck is going to go when it flies away to check I wont be badly over or under exposed. When I find a happy medium, I start taking shots of the duck foraging for food. I get closer to the duck so as it's body language and low quacking says it's about to bolt....One more step and....Away she flies. At which time I follow the bird as best I can trying all the while to keep it in frame and comp and take four or five good shots hoping the auto focus gets a good lock.

(2) I don't use tripods for my nature stuff but instead rely on the OIS and my method of holding the 70-300 lens. I use my right hand to hold the camera while my left arm is up in front of me acting as a cradle for the lens.

(3) This was taken with a 70-300mm and I was at the 170mm mark, so yes your 70-200 would have got this shot with ease. Also my 70-300 is NOT a fast lens

Hope this helps:D

Thanks alot Michaelaw, there are lots of ducks not far from where I live so I will be trying it out soon.

Very nice and out of the ordinary. I'm so use to seeing the side view shot of ducks...this, I really like. Great job.

Nice capture

The technique is easier explained than done. I bet I have 500 captures of flying birds and none are that sharp. One of these days ......

wow! I've never thought of ducks as majestic creatures but in this shot this duck sure looks awesome. It kinda reminds me of one of those huge jets taking off. Nice shot!!

Most reactions

Back