3 things I learned in my first 3 days with a camera - :( Not happy

TheKenTurner said:
But it's usually more bokehlicious when it's at the highest aperture ;)

The bokeh at 2.5 on a 50 will be just fine as long as the background isn't close to the subject

Instead of manual focus look in your manual about how to set your autofocus point. Mine has something like 9 points to choose from. This way it autofocuses, but on the point YOU choose.

Looks like you are off to a great start! As many say the best way to learn is to just get out there, take some pictures, and see what you can do better next time. Keep up the good work!

Night 1: So you bought a Prime 50mm 1.8 lens (AKA 'The Nifty Fifty') - Let me tell you, setting the aperture to 1.8 doesn't automatically make great photos. My test shots looked amazing on screen with a lovely soft blurred background (very professional ;) ) but when it came to viewing them on the computer and zooming in, there were many photos where the blackhead 1cm infront of the eye on the nose was sharp, and the eyes ever so slightly soft. 1.8 is VERY unforgiving. When you get one eye in focus, the other is slightly soft (unless you go for a mugshot portrait). Lesson learned - must practice and try closing down the aperture until I get the hang of it!

;)

You're already ahead of the game recognizing f/1.8 isn't the end all be all. There's a time and place for each f/ stop. Knowing when to use it is the key. I've mesed up a few otherwise good shots staying at 1.8 or 2.8 not realizing I can close my aperture and use my feet to get the same effect and keep my subject in focus. Ain't learning fun!

jaicatalano said:
Look up a lenses sweet spot. On a 1.8 the spot is 2.5 and not 1.8. Usually it's 2 stops down from it's ability.

That might be true, but what's the point if the photo is ruined because the dof is too shallow?

I've not heard of bokehlicious before.

jaicatalano said:
Look up a lenses sweet spot. On a 1.8 the spot is 2.5 and not 1.8. Usually it's 2 stops down from it's ability.

That might be true, but what's the point if the photo is ruined because the dof is too shallow?

I've not heard of bokehlicious before.

I think that Kai from DRTV invented the word ;)

God Bless Him for that!

Remember to change your white balance when you shoot in a different environment than the last time.

^^THIS!!!! I did this while in Paris. I would be taking photos inside somewhere and have the WB set to tungsten and then I would go outside and take shots without changing it. Luckily PSE9 allows me to edit that in the RAW file.

This is my most common mistake. I take alot of photos of my daughters who play volleyball and basketball at the local YMCA. I always forget to manipulate the WB when moving back to outdoor photos. Thank goodness for PP.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back