300mm lens

Lambert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I consider to buy the Sigma 300mm F 2.8 EX APO DG Nikon lens for my D200.

Does anyone have experience with this lens for aviation photography, wildlife photography, with or without teleconvertor ?

Can this lens be used with the Nikon D700 (FX camera's) ?

Thank you all for your advice

Lambert
(Belgium)

The Sigma 300mm f/2.8 will work fine on full frame or crop frame cameras. It is HSM (hypersonic motor) so it will work will all current Nikon DSLR's. The DG signifies it's designed to be used with digital and film cameras.
The EX is signifies their better build quality.

DC lenses are for crop sensor cameras only. Good way to remember is DC = Digital Crop. Not sure if thats the actualy meaning but it works.

So yes it will work fine with a D700. For birds and wildlife its an ok range. But 300mm is still a little short unless you can get in closer. On a crop sensor digital camera it's like a 450mm and that's getting to be a pretty good length. Obviously most who do wildlife would sell their soul for a 600mm lens. But at $8-10,000 it's not practical for most. So, many make due with 300mm.

As for teleconverters I am still on the fence about them. I have inexpensive ones, and several Nikon ones. The Nikon's are definately better, but they still affect the picture quality. Not as much as a cheap one though. I have a $100 paperweight around here somewhere. That's all the cheap one's are good for.

As for the 300mm from Sigma I have never used or even seen one. But I have used other manufacturers 300mm and they were just fine. I used to have my own Nikon 300mm f/2.8 af-d till it was stolen. I currently use a Tokina 300mm f/2.8 mf lens. It's suits my needs so I have not gone after another AF version.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back