What's new

ERR01 = The communication between the camera and lens is faulty.

RacePhoto

Pete
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
877
Reaction score
125
Location
Wisconsin
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope that describes the problem. I've had this on a rare occasion, with a different lens, I wiped the contacts and, it's back working. Not this time. EF 28-300 L one of my favorites for all around. I can go from out walking to close and wide, without changing the lens.

Does anyone have any better experience than, wipe dry, don't touch, don't use abrasives. I eventually got frustrated, and it has been months. I first used an alcohol wipe. Then I went to the basic, this is the end, best I know, pure acetone on a cotton swab. Sometimes one photo, then the error. Then off and on, it works. Another time ERR99. Wow? But the ERR01 is the consistent result. I tried a different camera. Same ERR01.

Going to Canon repair, and I could have a pro account, if I just registered the stacks of cameras and lenses and serial numbers. :encouragement: But the estimated repair cost is roughly the same as a used lens, or with the pro account, a savings of nearly $200. After all of that, I don't know if they still work on the older EF lenses anymore.

Does anyone know more? A USA non-Canon repair shop that I could send it to for evaluation? Many years ago there was a place in Maine, who was a former Canon technition, who started his own shop. I sent them a EF 300mm f/2.8 because the guy I sold it to said it was short focusing. Got it back. "No problems, everything working fine" at the cost of shipping and cleaning. I was extremely pleased with the service and rates. I sold the lens to someone in Peru and he was happy, everything worked fine.

So the question: Is there a Canon lens repair place that's not authorized Canon, that anyone here knows of? I'm saying, with personal experience. I'd like to send the lens out to see if they can find the issue and save me a big chunk of money.
 
Sounds like an aperture ribbon cable failure. Not sure where to send it for repair.
 
I had this same issue with my EF 85mm f/1.8. I found that it was more prevalent when I was using shutter speeds above 1/800th sec or so, for some odd reason.

Since EF lenses are often really affordable on the used market these days, I just opted to replace it with an "excellent" rated used lens from MPB. I don't have any experience with having lenses repaired unfortunately, but I am very satisfied with my used replacement.
 
Does anyone have any better experience than, wipe dry, don't touch, don't use abrasives. I eventually got frustrated, and it has been months. I first used an alcohol wipe. Then I went to the basic, this is the end, best I know, pure acetone on a cotton swab. Sometimes one photo, then the error. Then off and on, it works. Another time ERR99. Wow? But the ERR01 is the consistent result. I tried a different camera. Same ERR01.
As @webestang64 said it's probably the ribbon cable rather than the contacts.
However I don't agree with your cleaning process after the first try. Acetone will attack many plastics so could easily make things worse - iso-propanol is a better solvent to try for wet cleaning (except on things like bare glass/metal where acetone's more aggressive solvency should be safe). There are special contact cleaning pens available that have replaceable retractable brushes of glass filaments (used kept short) these are very mildly abrasive and are generally the best option for a dry clean shifting oxidation without significant abrasion. Rubbing the contacts with an eraser can also be a reasonable alternative for this treatment.
 
This was a stage by stage attempt. Started with a rag, dry. Then some of the usual cleaning oil, on a Q-tip. Then alcohol. I mean, over time, it's been months. Abrasives are specifically noted as "Don't do this". Then, after time, it's already broken, so what could be worse? You are right, acetone can attack some plastics, but on a swab it's great on contacts, gold, silver and metals, without additives or altering the surfaces. Used on cleaning coins.

I found another lens, listed on eBay as "tight". which I figured, two lenses made into one working, wouldn't be a bad plan. It works fine. So I got a replacement for under half the going price.

Now I'm looking for a repair shop... if it's the cable, contacts internally or something simple, I need a qualified shop, not my fat fingers.

So I'm still looking for a Canon lens repair facility that's not the factory and not more than the repaired lens would be worth, after I paid to have it fixed.

My alternative thought is, just list it for "not working" take what I get, and move on. But I know it was working. It was stored over the Winter and now it doesn't work. Not as if it was dropped, abused, or stored in a bad environment. Just that it went bad, sitting in the bag, in the case.

Looking for a repair shop.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom