300ppi or 72ppi?

jcg356

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking some headshots for a friend's networking group. They want to use them in a brochure, on the web and have the option to print them out in any size. My question is what resolution should I be saving them at - 300ppi for printing or 72 for the web? Also, since I don't know what size of prints they want, I assume I should leave more "space" in the picture when taking it so they don't crop off their arms if they print something besides a 4x6. Any help is appreciated!!

i always do 300dpi

Yep. 300 for print and 72 for web is fine. You're correct about leaving extra room on the edges to account for different crops and ratios.

It really doesn't matter what the dpi of the image is in most circumstances. It is a reference for printing only as images have to either be upsized or downsized for a certain application. The width and height in pixels is what's important.

Okay. So I gather that if I just saved one image at 300 it will work for both printing and the web. I think that will be easier for my friend as well since he doesn't have to remember which one to use for posting or printing. Thanks!

Yes. Keeping them all at 300 is just fine, the file sizes will just be a little bigger. Usually when people use 72 for display on the web, it's more of a safeguard against someone stealing it and printing it on their own (at least without losing quality) for proofs and such.

Most reactions

Back