30D vs 7D (or 50D)

lababidi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently own a 30D. My previous lens I owned malfunctioned and sold it. In searching for a new lens I realized the prices were very high for a decent lens that could handle low lighting conditions that I usually am in. I then decided that maybe upgrading my camera to a 7D because of it's low noise high iso ability. I would use the 28mm-135mm lens that comes with the camera. Is this a reasonable move or should I stick to the 30D? Maybe look into the 50D?

Thanks,
L

I have a 7d and it is a great camera and performs very well in high iso BUT you need a fast lens to solve your problem. My 7d came with a 28-135 that I sold when i purchased a 17-50 2.8 lens. 28-135 is not a bad lens but does not do justice to 7d's capabilities.

Good luck :thumbup:

I have both and the 7D is better than the 50D in every concievable way. If you can afford the 7D, there should be no question. I would look at other lenses though, as the 28-135 isn't the best of quality or the newest. For a similar range, I would suggest at least the new EF-S 15-85mm, or for a bit more range the 18-135.

High ISO performance is not a stop gap for slow lenses. You still get increased noise, less dynamic range, and with faster lenses you are allowed more subject isolation. Having said that, the 7D is arguably the best crop sensor consumer camera on the market right now. Fabulous all-around body. The 28-135.....not the best by any means.

I own a 50D and I love it, but I'm not sure that it's a worthwhile upgrade over the 30D. In fact, shooting with the 28-135, you'll notice little difference in IQ. A new lens will open up your capability more, and for the cost of a 7D, you can get one or two fairly decent lenses. If you have the $1800 to spend, you could also sell the 30D for $400, buy a 50D for $1000, and you'll be left with $1200 for a new lens.

I used to shoot with a 30D and loved it (it's now my backup). I went to Alaska last year and lost some great images due to noise. My long lens was a 100-300mm f/4 and I watched 2 grizzly cubs wrestling for about 20 minutes. Since they were at some distance, I had a significant crop and, since light was low, the images are very noisy.

I came back and bought a 7D when it first came out (it was a lot cheaper than buying a longer faster telephoto) and that was the right move! If I had this combination on that trip, those images would have been a piece of cake. I could have cranked the ISO way up and not lost out.

I don't know much about that 28-135, but have not heard wonderful things.

Most reactions

Back