$3500 and need help spending it

bango707

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im currently looking for a camera for my graduation present. I budget will be around $3500 as of now but I could possibly get that up to $4k.
Anyhow, there are a ton of cameras that I am interested in but for one reason or another I can't decide on just one.
I am looking for a camera that has:
10+mp
10+/-fps
full frame sensor
I was going to get a Canon 5D but the slow frame rate of 3fps is turning me off. I need something that can shoot 6+fps. I really like the Canon Mark lll but unless I can find a quality used one its just too much. The New Nikon D3 looks nice but I never really buy first generation equipment.
I have been shooting on Canon 20 and 30D and the Nikon D200 that I get from my school so I am comfortable shooting on either brands.
I will be using this camera to shoot everything from portraits action shots.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I graduate at the end of December so Im trying to buy it while I still get a student discount. Thanks in advance!:)

If that is your budget for a 10 fps FF camera, then what will you spend on lenses. scene you are looking at such pro options means you must already have a system what do you shoot (what cameras will fit your lenses) and just go from there pretty easy. Just keep in mind IF you do not have any lenses 2 good lenses can cost your hole $3,500 to match that 10 fps FF camera that is if you want to get out of it what it was meant to do?

Nikon D300 + Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8

comes out to about $3000 new.

Nikon D300 + Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8

comes out to about $3000 new.

But its not full frame, so it may not fit his needs. His comment about getting a D3 but not using first gen is humorous. Not only is that camera INCREDIBLE, its a whole lot more than even his extended budget of $4000, and thats still not even including any lenses and flash.

Attempting to purchase champagne on a beer budget is not going to be easy.

Your looking at a body only for that price. Either the 1D Mark II which may have dropped in price some to within your budget. Again not sure if its FF due to the high fps a 1.3 crop I believe. I know the 1D Mark III is 10fps but out of your budget and a 1.3 crop. What type of action are you looking for at 10fps. I have been shooting hummingbirds with my 40D and it's the shutter-speed that is of more concern. I believe the 1Ds get to 1/10,000 opposed to the 1/8000 of the 40D.

not to be rude, but why do you need a pro level camera right away? And why full frame, not that it's bad or anything like that. I would go with the 40D or D300, very new cameras, high fps, (at least the 40D, 6.5fps) and get some good lenses. Remember, its not all the body, the lenses play a massive role in photography. What do you plan on using the camera for. Unless you're shooting some intense wildlife or pro sports for big papers, I don't think you'll need an Mk II or II or D3.

I know it doesn't fit the criteria you mentioned, but a good use of that money would be:

D200
17-55
70-200 (80-200)

OR

40D
17-55
70-200 2.8

not to be rude, but why do you need a pro level camera right away? And why full frame, not that it's bad or anything like that. I would go with the 40D or D300, very new cameras, high fps, (at least the 40D, 6.5fps) and get some good lenses. Remember, its not all the body, the lenses play a massive role in photography. What do you plan on using the camera for. Unless you're shooting some intense wildlife or pro sports for big papers, I don't think you'll need an Mk II or II or D3.
He's not new to photography.

I know that he's not new to photography, but I still don't think a full level pro camera is needed, (since the OP did not say specifically what he will be using the camera for, unless the OP will tell us what the uses will be).

Silliest thing people do is buy the entry-level version when they actually have some skills and a decent budget. You gain nothing by doing that other than assuaging your guilt, and then you have used equipment that is not as good as what you really want.

Buy the good gear if you can afford it and know how to take pictures.

In the end, its the OPs choice, and you are right Iron, but he will still have to factor in lenses, unless he already has some. If he does, than that's awesome, all thats needed is a body, so the best can be bought. But if a whole package/system whatever you want to call it is being bought, than other things need to be factored into the budget also.

10+mp
10+/-fps
full frame sensor

These three requirements will pretty much limit your choices out there...especially in that budget.

1ds - mark II -> too slow in terms of frame rate
1d-markII -> not full frame (1.3 crop), not 10+mp, 8 fps
1Ds-mark III -> not out yet... as far as I know also too slow frame rate
1d_markIII -> fits but 1.3 crop too...
5D - Full frame but does not make 10fps

Your budget doesn't fit either!!

How about place those requirements in order of highest priority to lowest??? Start asking yourself.. 10fps (sports photog?), 10mp (poster prints?), or full frame all really necessary. I know full studio's working and profiting that don't have that level of requirements.

I do like buying the good stuff (we all do) but I don't agree entirely with Iron in the fact that you choices should be reasonable or you end up placing your investment in the wrong places.

btw... used 1 series bodies will/are holding value very well. you will not find a used MarkIII in your budget. 1D markII used will still eat most of your budget.

The closest is a 1D markII with either 24-70f2.8L or 24-105 IS f4L.. but you are cutting it close... Slightly less pixels in the sensor. Slightly slower at still a blazing 8 fps. Slightly smaller than full frame at 1.3 crop. Shop around since you can find them used.

d300, used 18-55 f2.8, and a used 80-200 f2.8. If you have extra $$ left over, get a 50mm f1.4 for low light.

Thanks everyone for all of your replies!
Lenses aren't an issue because I can still get all of the glass that I need from my school and whatever they don't have I will rent.
I have always been the type to get the best equipment for my money. I am a cinematographer by trade but have been getting more and more into photography since I started going to Brooks.
Anyhow I am going to be shooting snowboarding/wakeboarding/and motorcycle racing. I also do freelance stuff so I would like to have the full frame because I never know where my photos will end up. Plus I want to start blowing up my pics and having them framed for myself and my sister. I am also going to shoot architectural photography for my dad.
Anyhow someone asked me to list all the features in order of importance
1-MP
2-full frame
3-fps
although they are all pretty important I am willing to budge an any/all of these if need be. Having all of them is my perfect scenario!
I could live with 8fps, a 1.3crop, and 8mp but I would like to get the best I can afford. Like I said I can get more money but I don't want to break the bank quite yet although I might just have to!:wink:
Again thanks for the feedback!
~Ben

Most reactions

Back