350D viewfinder different to the image?

johnwilliams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've just noticed when i look through my canon 350D, what i see through the viewfinder isn't exactly what i see in the image after.

For example, if i take a picture and line a tree or rock or something up with the very top of what i can see through the viewfinder, after i take the picture the rock or tree isn't lined up against the top anymore. So what i see through the viewfinder isn't exactly what i get in the image after.

I was just wondering if this is normal for a camera or if it's because i have a lower end camera. Would it be perfect on a 40d or more expensive camera?

yeah your 350D viewfinder probably has 95% coverage of what you'll be getting in the final shot, most entry level cameras are like this, and yes the 40D has better viewfinder coverage.

may i ask what is defined as entry level cameras?
clear.gif

Its so annoying to see a perfect picture in your viewfinder and then a different shot in the final image. I've got plenty to learn in all the other areas first i know but i don't know why they don't just get it sorted on all cameras.

may i ask what is defined as entry level cameras?
clear.gif
Entry level 'DSLR' cameras are those that are designed to be the most affordable and easy to use (for those not used to SLR shooting). They are usually smaller and lighter than 'higher level' DSLR cameras. They usually have a lot of plastic in the construction, where others might have metal. They can also have less viewfinder coverage.

They are still good camera, and a good deal better than most non-SLR digital cameras...but if you pick up a pro level DSLR camera, the difference between that and your 350D will be quite apparent.

They are still good camera, and a good deal better than most non-SLR digital cameras...but if you pick up a pro level DSLR camera, the difference between that and your 350D will be quite apparent.

Is it worth upgrading to a better camera if your lenses are decent? i've heard glass is a better upgrade to start but my lenses are ok now and i'm considering camera upgrade if i'd get much more advantage from it.

Is it worth upgrading to a better camera if your lenses are decent? i've heard glass is a better upgrade to start but my lenses are ok now and i'm considering camera upgrade if i'd get much more advantage from it.

Yes glass is more important than the body.

The viewfinder of the 1d is 100% what you see is what you get and its BRIGHT.

Its a large heavy camera.

The sensor is bigger too. The image IQ is much better

The cost is stupid high.

You can and I do use it out in the rain. Its weather sealed.

The battery lasts for several days of normal use.

Its a pro tool for those that need it.

Is it worth upgrading to a better camera if your lenses are decent? i've heard glass is a better upgrade to start but my lenses are ok now and i'm considering camera upgrade if I'd get much more advantage from it.
The key point is...if you would get much more advantage from an upgrade. Some people would, some wouldn't. We can't know what is best for you.

I can tell you that a good photographer with a cheap camera will almost always create better photos than a poor photographer with an expensive camera.

The key point is...if you would get much more advantage from an upgrade. Some people would, some wouldn't. We can't know what is best for you.

I can tell you that a good photographer with a cheap camera will almost always create better photos than a poor photographer with an expensive camera.

Couldn't have said it better...........

The smaller coverage of the viewfinder is not necessarily a bad thing for Beginners, because it allows just a little extra wiggle room. It can get kind of annoying one you have been shooting for a while and have good composition technique, but you can always crop off the edges of your photos and it will look just like it did through the viewfinder.

I agree. It would be a lot worse if it was the other way around.

I personaly prefer having the less viewfinder coverage. My camera has 92% coverage.

It allows more room for cropping to different sizes. (different size images have different aspect ratios. For exaomple, an if you had an AMAZING 4x6, and wanted to blow it up to 8x10, the 2 inches of the left and right would get cut off)

Most reactions

Back