35mm f/1.8

domu221

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys! I'm considering buying a new lens since my current one doesn't do well on darkly lit rooms. I've been using my cam for a few months now and it works great when I'm outdoors in the morning or afternoon, but never during events indoors (like clubs/bars, theater, etc.), especially at night.

I currently have:
Nikon D3100 + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (the lens that came with the cam)

I'm planning to buy
35mm f/1.8

I'm looking for reviews on this new lens I plan to buy if it's worth it or not or if there are other alternatives to it. I'm also interested in big aperture lenses (small f-number) with zoom and VR if there exists one. But please tell me if you have used this lens, any problems or limitations you faced, and even sample shots.

Thanks in advance!

35mm f/1.8 is my second lens. The first one is of course the kit lens which unfortunately is not so quick in low light. I love my 35mm work very well in low light and also the "bokeh" effect is amazing... add more creativity to the photos... i think it's definitely must have lens. Also the price, 200$ pretty damn good price ;]

Buy it. You will be happy with it. Fantasic lens. Same lens quality as the pro level zooms. Bokeh is okay not as good as the 50mm 1.8. The 35mm is a better focal distance then the 50. Easyer to take photo's with. Auto focus is very quick.

Yep just picked one up from fellow neighbor and friend. Gave him $100 and the $50 Shutterbug Gift Card he gave me for Christms! ;)

So made out like a lark and my investment was $100 for it.

Steel Guitar Reflections by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Locking the Grapevine by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Pretty happy with it. As my 50mm f1.8 AF-D can be a tad tight indoors and close quarters shooting. Found the 35mm gave me more breathing room and more appropriate for street.

Those shots make me wanna buy the 35mm 1.8. Gotta save enough money soon! :)

I'm also interested in big aperture lenses (small f-number) with zoom and VR if there exists one. But please tell me if you have used this lens, any problems or limitations you faced, and even sample shots.

Thanks in advance!

Amazon.com: Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo Nice. But not cheap. :)

Maybe the f/3.5-5.6 55-200mm ($249) or 55-300mm ($399) or f/4.5-5.6 70-300mm ($589) may also appeal to you. Cheers! :)

PS

I own the 55-200mm and was able to use for a time the 55-300mm. Both are basic to mid-level lenses and seem to provide better IQ and bokeh than the kit lens of the D3100 from my observations. IMO these lenses would suffice for most people.

Though I haven't used the other two, the 70-300mm is a notch or two higher than the 55-300mm and the f/2.8 70-200 is definitely pro-grade both being outside the range of my budget. :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
homahgawd thank you all for the awesome replies and samples! I will be getting this lens in bestbuy soon! The Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 is WAAAY to expensive for me although it appeals to me so much that its a zoom lens and a large hole (no pun intended).

OK! So, i plan to take picture in a theater where the stage is only the thing that's lit up. I plan to use the 35mm f/1.8 to take pictures of the actors (of course, not the audience). Is this lens fast enough or should I still buy the mountable flash (i dont know if you call it a speedlight or a flash gun or other term)?

domu221 said:
homahgawd thank you all for the awesome replies and samples! I will be getting this lens in bestbuy soon! The Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 is WAAAY to expensive for me although it appeals to me so much that its a zoom lens and a large hole (no pun intended).

OK! So, i plan to take picture in a theater where the stage is only the thing that's lit up. I plan to use the 35mm f/1.8 to take pictures of the actors (of course, not the audience). Is this lens fast enough or should I still buy the mountable flash (i dont know if you call it a speedlight or a flash gun or other term)?
One thing to consider is how far are you from the stage.
I've never used the d3100 but on my d90, I can get reasonable shutter speeds at higher iso with it. If flash photography is allowed in the theater, then a flash will be a good thing to have. For the price of the 35 1.8, it can't be beaten( aside from the 50 1.8g but that might be a little tight indoors). Not the best for close up photography though. Ifs a good walk around lens. Much faster than your kit lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back