What's new

360 Degree Photography issue with camouflage products

lutrella

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 26, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Memphis,TN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been shooting 360 degree images of camouflage products of Bags, Gun Cases, and etc on a white background. Then after I shoot the item I would use the clipping path method in Photoshop to get the most accurate results, but its time consuming. I testing every possible background from green, Hot pink, hot green, & etc behind these camouflage products, so that we could just drop out the background with the magic wand, but I have not been successful. The problem is that our camo has an array of natural which blends with so many backgrounds its frustrating using this method. I preferred the do right by shooting the product on white, and using the Photoshop clipping path method, but my co workers feel that there is a quicker & accurate way. I'm asking if anyone know a better method I can use for dropping out the background on 36 images of a camouflage product with a array of of colors inside of it?
 
For camo, I would think that blue would be the best background color for easy removal. I think blue would be very rare in camo...

The only thing I would worry about is it causing a color cast on the item...



If it were me, I would probably just do it on white though...
 
I agree a blue chroma key backdrop would work best on these.
 
We have been doing 360 product photography for few years now and from our experience the best quality can only be achieved via manual clipping path. All our 360 product views are done this way whether it's black, white or custom background. Anything else will leave too many artifacts on the final presentations (color cast as previuos poster mentioned, rough edges, overexposed images, etc). This is very time consuming indeed..

The other option is to create artistic backgrounds and keep it on the images but this will not work for everybody. You can also minimize shades by shooting 360s on acrylic stands or glass - this tend to help when removing backgrounds.
 
Last edited:
The best way to do it is with the object away from the backdrop (suspended with a stand or wires) and with the backdrop separately but evenly lit. You then have to evenly light the foreground objects and put a backlight on the foreground objects. That's how you key objects out of a green screen.
 
Hi,

I agree with the last post. Suspending objects by fishing line would be the simplest way. The other option is to use a turntable with a clear top. This way you can place many objects in one shots and have no shadows to worry about. The background could be a pure white, or use a chroma key blue like the others have suggested. We at 3d-studio have been photographing 360 products for over seven years and from experience these would be the simplest way to do a cut out. If you are photographing reflective items then the above does not work and the cut outs have to be done by hand.
 
Hello,

I'm a fellow 360 degree product photographer..

What we usually do is to shoot the product on a white background, and simply leave the white in the images, instead of technically removing the background.

If you need the background removed, then luma key does fairly well, when it's shot on white and in general your colors are kept more intact than when chroma keyed.

Kind Regards
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom