3x Right Angle Finder v. Microprism

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I don't want to invest a whole lot into my DSLR, as I am planning on replacing it someday withe an NEX-7. However, this might not be for some time yet - for one, the NEX-7 hasn't been released and I am not sure when I'll have the money put together.

In the meantime, however I am having a lot of trouble focusing, I prefer manual focus but my eyesight isn't good enough to be using the puny viewfinder on my A350 effectively. Direct from China, ebay offers a couple of options that I am considering.

One is a Seagull 1x, 3.3x selectable magnification finder. The other is a no-name microprism finder which I wuld have to install.

I've read moderately good reports on the microprisms on ebay, they say there is some dimming, which is OK provided the microprism functions adequately and accurately. Does anyone have any experience or heard any outright negative reports?

I know what I'd be getting with Seagull, they made an inexpensive but decent Yashicamat copy back in the late 1990's. I'm inclined to go this direction just because it's a brand I comfortable with and more important I can always take it off easily if I don't like it.

But will the finder actually help in critical focus, or for whatever reason would I be better off with the cheap microprism?

I'm curious; why do you want to focus manually? Today's bodies and lenses are designed for auto-focus, and while I can't speak of first-hand experience with Sony, I will assume that they work well. Given how dim pentamirror crop-sensor cameras are, I would be hesitant to put anything on that would reduce the viewable light any further. My sense is that whle the RA finder would be more accurate, there are many occasions when it would be a downright pain to use.

I'm curious; why do you want to focus manually?

It's a philosophic thing more than a technical thing. It helps me to slow down and concentrate on what I'm doing. I'm not doing portraits or anything else that moves a lot, so there really isn't any reason to use auto. Just a personal preference, I am 100% certain that my focus issues would go away if I used AF more, I just don't like it from a personal standpoint.

The finder might be a pain to use, you're right, and I am not sure how much I'd actually use it.

I have nothing to say about a different viewfinder but I can highly recommend an old split prism focusing glass for your camera. I bought mine from KatzEye™ Optics - Custom Focusing Screens and it's been quite a positive experience all round. 5 years on there's still many situations (macro especially) where manually focusing just beats the heck out of whatever my camera tries to do.

They don't make screens for my camera. I looked into another brand that gets decent reviews, but found metering issues. Even with these KatzEye screens, they'll interfere with spot metering at lower apertures. I pretty much exclusively use spot metering and I shoot a lot with vintage M42 lenses. God. I'm so old fashioned.

Looks like if anything it will be the Seagull finder until I can get a new camera.

Most reactions

Back