40D shutter replaced. Now all pics soft. HELP

mikekillin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was getting the infamous error 99.. did all my own testing with various lenses and constantly was getting the error. I sent the 40D body in to Royal Camera in Illinois to be repaired. They replaced the shutter mechanism and it fixed the error 99 issue. When I got the body back, I took some pics to make sure it was fixed.. but when looking closely at the pics - they were all soft at the centerpoint which is where my autofocus centerpoint focusing is set to. I did some testing and ALL 3 of my L series lenses are now focusing BEHIND the subject matter. (anywhere from 1" to 6" rearward of centerpoint) Again - I'm using Center point only for autofocus.. Sent the camera and 70-200 f2.8 IS USM lens back to Royal Camera.. they are trying to tell me that there is nothing they can do.. Anyone ever had this experience?? I also have a 20D body - which shoots sharp with those same lenses. I sent them my test images and they still say there is nothing they can do. I told the tech that they ruined my camera body and it is useless if it does not focus properly on the subject. He agreed to call Canon for any input.. but desperate for others to give me your experience. I'm 100% certain its the 40D body and not the lenses since all three L series lenses focus great on the 20D body and Bad on the 40D.. I used tripod and depth of field chart tipped back at 45degree angle.. none of the shots taken with the 40D body were sharp at the focal point.. ALL were behind. HELP PLEASE

Send it to Canon for service is all I can think of...

edit
And it definitely is the body, not the lenses. Everything worked fine (as far as focusing goes), you send the body off for repairs, it comes back and won't focus. How could it be anything but the body?
Whatever they did when they were fixing it, something moved...

Last edited:
Is Royal Camera in Illinois a Canon authorized repair station?

wish I had thought to look to see that before having them repair the shutter issue.. I'm guessing I'm going to be scre&*ed on this... Tried to avoid the long turnaround and costly "Canon" repair. I put one of my focus tests in my images.. dead on focus should be between the two 9's.

Thanks to all for help! has anyone else ever experienced this?

Most reactions

Back