430 EX II or 580 EX II?

UUilliam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Allot of places recommend the 430EX II
Is the 580 EX II More functions and power than needed? or is it worth the extra $150 (according to amazons current price) roughly for the 580 ex ii or will it burn out quick meaning i need a new flash / a second flash for if it heats too much?

However the "list price" for the 580EX II is $700... where as the price of the 430 exii is $240

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it burning out.

Is the 580 EX II More functions and power than needed?
Depends on what YOU need it for.

The 580 is more powerful. You may not always need it, but it's nice to know that it's there when you do need it.
The 580 has better controls; it has a wheel while the 430 has skinny buttons that can be hard to press.
The 580 has a socket for an external battery pack.
The 580 has a socket for a remote trigger.
The 580 can be a 'master' or a 'slave' in Canon's wireless system. The 430 can only be a slave.

I had the same dilema and I went for the 580EXII because pepople convinced me that if I went with the 430EXII that eventually I would feel like it wasnt powerful enough and then I would want to upgrade to the 580EXII, so in return I ould be spending much more than if I just got the 580EXII in the first place. so if I were you I would go with the 580EXII

Get the 580 if you can swing it, the 430 if you can't. $700 is steep for a 580 though; I got both of mine for $500 CDN each. o_O

Most reactions

New Topics

Back