.44 Magnum

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_6950-resized.jpg

Oh hey nice. Are the bullets more in focus than the gun, or should I go get my glasses? :) Love the colors. Very nice.

Yes, they are. I knew that there was no way I could get all of it in focus, so this seemed best to me.

Thanks.

(Even if I could have gotten all of it in focus, this would probably still look better...)

EDIT
Damn... I just noticed that you can see the edge of the paper in the upper right corner (just barely).

Last edited:
Sweet !!! :thumbup:

Crank the aperture down to f/22 or something like that, bet it would all be in focus. I think you're right though, this would/will look better.

Little less harsh on the light from the left.

Crank the aperture down to f/22 or something like that, bet it would all be in focus. I think you're right though, this would/will look better.

Little less harsh on the light from the left.

at that distance, even f/22 wouldn't get it all... i'm guess the lens was about a foot away to get that FOV at 50mm... at that distance and focal range, f/22 would only give you an "in-focus" DOF of about an inch - maybe enough to keep the bullets in back as sharp as the ones in front. as it is, for f/5.6 there's more in focus than i would have expected...

i'm guess the lens was about a foot away to get that FOV at 50mm...
Yeah, it was about a foot or a foot & a half. Pretty close to the minimum focus distance of the 50mm f/1.4 (can't remember exactly what that is off hand).

More like about 4-5" DOF at 2 feet. Pull back to 3 feet and you will have just under a foot of DOF.

Wouldn't have worked. If I built a bigger box, maybe.
At that distance I would have had to use a longer lens (which would mean that I would also have to shoot from a lower angle, which means I would need even more DOF). If you look at the top right corner, you can see exactly how close I was to the edge.

I can barely make out anything in the top corner.

With my cruddy 6 YO uncalibrated laptop, that's not a good thing to miss.

I do like the composition though.

I can barely make out anything in the top corner.

With my cruddy 6 YO uncalibrated laptop, that's not a good thing to miss.

It's easy to miss. I didn't see it untill my reply to manaheim.

I'm probably more picky about that stuff than most people though. The edge is a little grey. That's the edge of the paper (it's hard to see because it's not in focus) - it's only a few pixels wide.
EDIT
I only missed it because it's inside that tiny area that you can't see in the viewfinder.

I do like the composition though.

Thanks.

Nice shot, love the clarity on the ammo and the DOF on the cylinder. Now I'll ask because this is my 1st hobby...My guess is it's a Ruger Redhawk and something like a Leupold 3x9 scope :) What is the actual setup you shot here?

Nice shot, love the clarity on the ammo and the DOF on the cylinder. Now I'll ask because this is my 1st hobby...My guess is it's a Ruger Redhawk and something like a Leupold 3x9 scope :)

Thank you.

It's a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter with Leupold 2x20 (FX-2) scope.

i think that looks awesome

but.....i would never tell a man with .44 mag that his picture didn't look awesome:lol:

Most reactions

Back