4x5 Lens Question

Here's an interesting "overview type" article on lenses for large format cameras...really a nice article, I thought it might answer some questions you or others might have, and also be a good addition to your post's title for search use in the future.

Kenneth Lee Gallery - Some Favorite Large Format Lenses

You will only need a shutter if your exposure time is shorter than a few seconds. Otherwise your dark cloth will do just fine :) I did this for a couple years.

As I said, you will find that nothing about large format is speedy. Long exposures in the 5-30 second ranges are not atypical. The JML lens is going cheap right now, might be worth picking up even if you don't intend to use it as a primary lens.

What kind of camera are you using or planning on using? Many of the Graflex press cameras had giant rolling curtain shutters which would open your possibilities a bit.

If movements aren't important to you then there is the Graflex RB-series, which are 3x4, 4x5 and 5x7 (rare) SLRs. The D model is kind of outrageously priced right now, but the RB Series B is running around $300 with a lens.

I owned a Model B, it's a positively epic camera to use. The lenses on them are nice, classic tessars. Not super sharp, but have that classic tessar quality to them. I'm sure SK Grimes could have something more modern (like the JML) mounted.

Using the rolling shutters in a graflex, a high tension, wide slit setting allows for handheld use down to about 1/30-1/15 sec pretty easily. My RB Series B had a maximum shutter speed of 1/1000.

I was planning on building from complete scratch so I guess it will be a mix of whatever parts I purchase or build based on this reading:

Jon Grepstad - Building a Large Format Camera

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
HERE is a list of many lenses, with extensive specifications, including focal length and image circle, angle of coverage, and many other pertinent bits of info that will be helpful in choosing a lens for 4x5.

lenses for 4x5 in

I ended up deciding to go with the JML with a Packard Shutter.

Why? Well I don't know really. Sounds like an interesting set up and could make for some fun figuring this all out

Most reactions

Back