4x5 or medium format.

.......LF is NOT portable (I shoot a monorail), and it HAS to be shot on a tripod, bulky film holders, etc........

A LF press or field camera (which I want to get) is portable and can be shot handheld,......

So which is it?

Yes, railed LF is best on a tripod, but press/field LF is hand-holdable. A blanket statement can't be made then.

.......LF is NOT portable (I shoot a monorail), and it HAS to be shot on a tripod, bulky film holders, etc........

A LF press or field camera (which I want to get) is portable and can be shot handheld,......

So which is it?

Yes, railed LF is best on a tripod, but press/field LF is hand-holdable. A blanket statement can't be made then.

For ME, my monorail is NOT portable.
When/if I get a press or field camera THEN it will be portable, but only for the press/field camera.
So lets say, a monorail is NOT portable, and a press/field camera is portable.

Going up a step.
I was out on a LF shoot, and someone had an 8x10 view camera.
That would be portable only if I had a grunt to carry it for me, a second grunt to carry the huge tripod it needs, and a third grunt to carry the film holders and other stuff. Or a golf cart/ATV, to haul it around in.

Your idea of portable seems rather feeble.

I've shot landscapes with my 10x8 Agfa Ansco Commercial View numerous times and walked at least 5 miles with it and it's tripod. Sure it's a lot heavier than my 5x4 kits but has been worth while, should add I carry the camera/tripod by hand and the DDS (film holders) etc in a back-pack.

Ian

Your idea of portable seems rather feeble.

I've shot landscapes with my 10x8 Agfa Ansco Commercial View numerous times and walked at least 5 miles with it and it's tripod. Sure it's a lot heavier than my 5x4 kits but has been worth while, should add I carry the camera/tripod by hand and the DDS (film holders) etc in a back-pack.

Ian

I guess I'm feeble then.
It comes with age and injury.

I would love to meet the man or woman who can take a 10x8 monorail while rock- climbing or steelhead fishing. There is a _huge_ difference between portable and luggable/ haulable.

My large format camera is a 1950s linhof Color, a lightweight tan colored monorail not the Kardan Color, just the Colorolor. It is actually quite carry-able, especially when fitted with a short rail. When I was in my twenties I used to carry around in the back of my Mazda RX7 in its trunk case. This was in the 1980s.

In the 1990s, I bought a 120 roll film system camera, the Bronica SQ-AM, which allowed me to shoot 6 x 6 centimeter Square as well as 6 x 4.5. In 2007 I added an SQ-ai, and 3 lenses which I bought as a lot for $300! The 50 mm / 4 Pro Series lens was $1,900 in 1991, and the outfit came with the 50/4 PS, and an 80,and a 150, two backs, and two viewfinders, for the amazingly low price of $300!

There is no comparison in the handling speed and flexibility of a medium format camera compared to any sheet film camera using sheet film holders. My other larger format camera is a 1938 baby Speed Graphic, and the speed in operation is much slower than a crank-wind MF slr or TLR.

Last edited:
Oh how I wish I had bought an RX7 back then.
When I finally decided that I could afford one, the body style had changed, and I did not like the new style.

Most reactions

Back