Blotchy areas on photos.

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by Grandpa Ron, May 17, 2019.

1. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I would like to know what causes the blotches on my negatives.

The first picture of headstones was taken a I was restoring the camera and learning many of the errors of view camera photograph.

I tray developed this negative and as you can see, there is considerable number of dark areas.
    Headstones.jpeg

The second photo of my back yard is more recent and developed in a developing tank. It still shows the dark areas.
    Photo 103 p.jpg

So, my question is. Is this figure prints, lack of fixer time, light leaks, or some other gremlin?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first one that was tray developed to me looks like streaks from the chemistry; could that be due to mixing the chemistry or not enough agitation/keeping it moving in the developer? Is this on the negative or on a print? The second one to me looks like there was some light leaking, or the exposure was light in the lower corners and might need a little burning in.

3. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From what I am seeing, there are irregular "scratches" in the images.
    That looks like to me fingerprints from contaminated fingers in the chemicals. ergo: using ones hand to agitate the paper or pick it up.

Had a similar problem years ago and discovered that my hands had some kind of food grease on them. ruined the prints AND the developer.

4. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe a combination of things?

But use tongs... didn't people learn that when they started darkroom work? Maybe not, I did. Bamboo or plastic tongs like other darkroom supplies are inexpensive. If you aren't using tongs, you might want to get away from handling photo chemistry and negatives/prints with your fingers and do that as little as possible.

5. compur

compur Been spending a lot of time on here!

What you've posted aren't negatives, they're positives. Did you scan the negs and then reverse them digitally or are those scans of prints?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    These are positives uploaded from GIMP processed scanned negatives. I will try to scan and post the negatives.

I am thinking maybe finger prints from loading film in a changing bag.

7. johnfreed0

johnfreed0 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

One thing to consider is agitation. When I started using PMK, I had to go back to developing a single negative in a 5X7 tray using lift and drop for the agitation. I found that rocking the tray was enough to cause uneven development so I had to go the lift and drop, very gently. The more energetic the developer the higher risk of uneven development.