5 B&W's for C&C please

v3nom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First attempt at B&W, well any kind of photography with a purpose. Up till now ive been shooting anything and everything but today i went out for the sole purpose of composing for B&W. I have a couple of focus issues with one or two of these shots but i dont think they turned out too bad, but what do i know? I could really use some C&C. Thanks in advance.

#1 f2.8 1/53 ISO-160
5379011990_3407b8826d_b.jpg

#2 f2.8 1/53 ISO-160
5378412281_055670757a_b.jpg

#3 f2.8 1/62 ISO-160
5379011514_691162cae3_b.jpg

#4 f2.8 1/13 ISO-400
5379010978_0cb0c71994_b.jpg

#5 f2.8 1/11 ISO-400
5378411145_c64e9b833e_b.jpg

Needs better contrast, better separation of tones.

5378494095_93fe6e2f7e.jpg

Too bad about the left side -- really needed more space so it wasn't up against the frame edge. Horizon was badly tilted.

Needs better contrast, better separation of tones.

5378494095_93fe6e2f7e.jpg

Too bad about the left side -- really needed more space so it wasn't up against the frame edge. Horizon was badly tilted.

Yeah i never even notice the tilted horizon, i think i need i new set of eyes for this. I was trying to work with the rule of thirds that ive read so much about, guess i went too far on that one. Thanks for your comments.

I like the style of your #1 & #3. A bit of synchronicity going on with #5 ;). Compositions could be a bit tidier, i think. Tripod would help. You're in a good place to make B&Ws.

Good shots. 1 4 5 my favs. I agree w 3 needing alittle more contrast but your not far off. In my opinion.

WOW! this is your first your first time with black and white? These all look really good but my fav is 1,2 & 5. Great shots!

They definitely do need more contrast. Either way, they are not too shabby for your first b&w attempt. Keep shooting and posting.

Regards,
Jake

I like the style of your #1 & #3. A bit of synchronicity going on with #5 ;). Compositions could be a bit tidier, i think. Tripod would help. You're in a good place to make B&Ws.

Thanks, I' reasonably happy with my attempts. Im struggling with composition, I need to remember to Think! ;)

All in all, nice shots. #3 is my fav.

Thanks, I nearly didnt include that one because it was too dark.

Good shots. 1 4 5 my favs. I agree w 3 needing alittle more contrast but your not far off. In my opinion.

Thanks, I like #4 also, i dont even know what it is but its the random objects that generate some thought and interst.. i think.

WOW! this is your first your first time with black and white? These all look really good but my fav is 1,2 & 5. Great shots!

Thanks, Im pleased you like them :)

I think, of the bunch, that the first is my favorite...

However, I think a slight boost to the contrast and a hair of sharpness might improve the look...

Yes, i see exactly what you mean, i'll do some work on contrast. At the moment i'm not sure how far to go with it.

They definitely do need more contrast. Either way, they are not too shabby for your first b&w attempt. Keep shooting and posting.

Regards,
Jake

Thanks, i'll certainly keep trying.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong in #2, I tried to get the comp right with the rule of thirds and with the shoe facing to the right i shot the shoe on the left. Too busy perhaps?

Thank you all for your very helpfull comments.

The first is great but I would have liked it even more if you had shot it with a wider angle lens and cropped it to like a 16:9, or some kind of wide-angle crop, needs more horizontal space in my opinion. Otherwise awesome wonderful composition and depth of field

The first is great but I would have liked it even more if you had shot it with a wider angle lens and cropped it to like a 16:9, or some kind of wide-angle crop, needs more horizontal space in my opinion. Otherwise awesome wonderful composition and depth of field

Thanks, yes i see now that would have been a little better.

Ive actually had this image printed as its my first 'ok' shot. Its come back a little darker than id hoped but im still quite pleased with it.

Thanks again for your comments, very helpfull.

Most reactions

Back