50D not up to snuff?

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've noticed that the price of a used 50D has fallen to around $800, but the older used 40D seems to be be sticking around $700. Is the 50D that disappointing? I know that DPreview found that high ISO shots with the 50D were noisier. Is that the crucial factor? Or do people just want to pass right over the 50D for the 7D?

I wouldn't be too concerned with it. It's probably a number of things but I don't think it has anything to do with image quality.

The 40D & 50D are fairly similar cameras, and with the new 7D out, they are both a bargain on the used market.

I was looking at getting a 40D with the recent price drops, but if the price of the 50D has dropped that significantly, I'm going with a 50D.

I've noticed that the price of a used 50D has fallen to around $800, but the older used 40D seems to be be sticking around $700. Is the 50D that disappointing? I know that DPreview found that high ISO shots with the 50D were noisier. Is that the crucial factor? Or do people just want to pass right over the 50D for the 7D?

Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera Review

I have never liked DPReview, reading their reviews is like trying to watch Fox News. There may be some good info in there sometimes, but you really have to wade around the crap and biases to actually find it.

Anyway, that link has an ISO comparisson test for the 50D and compares it against 40D and XSi. I've always found the-digital-picture as a great source for reviews on Canon products.

I've had a 50D since about June of this year and have been nothing but pleased with it. I'm not really motivated to get a 7D, but maybe I would be if I had a like a 20D or 30D.

Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera Review

I have never liked DPReview, reading their reviews is like trying to watch Fox News. There may be some good info in there sometimes, but you really have to wade around the crap and biases to actually find it.

Anyway, that link has an ISO comparisson test for the 50D and compares it against 40D and XSi. I've always found the-digital-picture as a great source for reviews on Canon products.

I've had a 50D since about June of this year and have been nothing but pleased with it. I'm not really motivated to get a 7D, but maybe I would be if I had a like a 20D or 30D.

Ripping on Fox News! What? Dont tell me you watch CNN (communist news network)...lol.

Too each their own!

Supply and demand, there were tons of 50d's sold and a lot of those people went to the 5dmkII or the 7d

My opinion is that the 50D was a poor selling camera; the dPrview review was not very favorable, and many 30D and 40D owners saw very little need to upgrade, plus the economic downturn hurt sales of higher-priced cameras. The solid niche market that the 20D had captured for Canon with wedding and event photographers saw a lot of erosion from Nikon's D300, so overall, the 50D was simply not a good selling model. The same fate befell the 30D--it was like a 20D with a bigger screen, and no real feature updates--no new AF system, not much different.

The 40D hit a sweet spot between price, file size, and a significant enough upgrade from the prior THREE models that the 40D was a huge seller for Canon. NO camera exists in a vacuum--FujiFilm had a mega-seller with its 6MP S2 Pro body, which was a great camera for its era, but by the time they iterated to the S3 Pro, Canon had the 20D and 30D in full swing, and Canon simply buried Fuji's S3 Pro offering. The 50D was unfortunately born into a time when competition from Nikon was high,and Canon was seen as failing to innovate,so the 40D held down the fort with high sales due to lower price, similar features, and a great overall,total performance.

I think Derral pretty much summed it up - the 50D just didn't impress much over the 40D. I'll admit this was my feeling and I'm a 400D shooter so either camera is an upgrade for me. But the 50D just wasn't offering anything but more Megapixels really - a bit of an improvement here and there, but ISO performance was on par with that of the 40D (an impressive thing considering hte MP increase, but in the end when I'm in the field what I need more is clean ISOs not more pixies).

Ripping on Fox News! What? Dont tell me you watch CNN (communist news network)...lol.

Too each their own!
More like MSNBC! The worst of the worst commie hippy tree hugging lefties! (I'm a moderate, maybe even a Liberetarian if I had to pick a label, but I digress)

Anyway, I'm probably bias toward the 50D since I own one. But I upgraded from two-generation-old Rebel, so little things like the Live View (which I use a lot for manual focusing because you can 10x zoom on-screen) drew me to the 50D. I think it's a fantastic camera that does a lot of things very well. Also, I'm not sure where the notion of noise is an issue with the 50D... In all my prints and in all my online images, noise has been little to no concern to me. After reading DPReview's "review" of the 50D, I lost any respect toward credibility that site may have had. I now stick to The Digital Picture for Canon product reviews.

Most reactions

Back