50D or 500D? Yeah, I hate those kind of threads too

TuxXtreme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry for posting this kind of thread.

But I figured I'd ask because it's hard to see around deh internets which is best.

So the exact question is:

I can have a 500d at the same price than a 50d on ebay, which one should I buy? I am a kinda-beginner, cause I learned (and am learning) on film. And I plan to keep it for a loooong time (I've been saving up for this. I have approx 650€ outa 1000...

So your 2 cents?

The 50D is more rugged, heavier, and will have a more professional feel. How important is a warranty and the camera being *brand new*?

I have a 50D and it is quite bada$$
You'll get much better ISO performance, faster fps, better build, etc. Plus the learning curve isn't as bad as people make it out to be, it took me about a week to get most of the functions down

Hmm, which one is better? Obviously the 50D. Which one is better for you? obviously the 500D.

Listen to yourself, you said it:

"I can have a 500d at the same price than a 50d on ebay, which one should I buy? I am a kinda-beginner, cause I learned (and am learning) on film. And I plan to keep it for a loooong time (I've been saving up for this. I have approx 650€ outa 1000..."

Sure the 50D will be a better camera, you might not have to upgrade the body for a while but is it isnt as good to learn on. If your looking for a long-time camera maybe, but save your money and learn with the 500D.

The 50D is more rugged, heavier, and will have a more professional feel. How important is a warranty and the camera being *brand new*?

Well, not that much, and you can still have a "seller-warranty" on Ebay... Thanks for your advice :D

Hmm, which one is better? Obviously the 50D. Which one is better for you? obviously the 500D.

"I can have a 500d at the same price than a 50d on ebay, which one should I buy? I am a kinda-beginner, cause I learned (and am learning) on film. And I plan to keep it for a loooong time (I've been saving up for this. I have approx 650€ outa 1000..."

Sure the 50D will be a better camera, you might not have to upgrade the body for a while but is it isnt as good to learn on. If your looking for a long-time camera maybe, but save your money and learn with the 500D.

Actually, I am looking for long-time camera... And I learn pretty fast (modesty is something my mother forgot to give me lawl).

Apart from the guide mode on the 500d, are there any other differences? I know the 50d is bigger, but that's not too much of a problem :p

if you can get the better camera for the same price then why not go with it, its like they always say, "buy nice or buy twice"
if you end up getting really into photography youll no doubt want to upgrade your camera if you go for the entry level one. if you go for the 50d itll last you longer because of its build quality and you wont feel the need to upgrade for a lot longer.

and someone asked why the 40d?
the 40d is still pretty technologically up to date, but because its the older model you can get it heaps cheaper, especially second hand off ebay. ive seen them around for under 500€ so its definitely a good option.

The 40D is nearly every bit as good as the 50D, and you'll get it for far less than the 50D to boot. I've heard quite a few complaints about the 50D, and frankly, what few things it was supposed to do better than the 40D, don't make that much of a difference. Signal-to-noise ratio is one of them. If you just want a still camera, go for the 40D. If video is important, go with the 500D (though for video the 7D would certainly be preferable; no I'm not just fawning over my new camera... >.> ).

Personally i would not go for a second hand body, lenses sure, but you dont want the shutter to go the week after you buy it

The 40D is nearly every bit as good as the 50D, and you'll get it for far less than the 50D to boot. I've heard quite a few complaints about the 50D, and frankly, what few things it was supposed to do better than the 40D, don't make that much of a difference. Signal-to-noise ratio is one of them. If you just want a still camera, go for the 40D. If video is important, go with the 500D (though for video the 7D would certainly be preferable; no I'm not just fawning over my new camera... >.> ).

Ok, so I did some research on 50/40d comparisons, and this site does exactly that.

Now, are the low-light performances equal? It's my only concern... maybe I will get a 40d after all :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back