What's new

50D vs 7D

tmartin2347

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Location
NH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was leaning towards the 50D, but have been thinking of spending a little more to invest in the 7D.

I've been doing comparisons to persuade me and watching some video reviews on YouTube as well.
Anyone want to persuade me on spending the extra money, I focus on nature/landscapes/macro photography. Love floral photography and would enjoy the HD video the 7D provides.
 
Get the 7D then. It's a great camera and you will really enjoy it.
 
If I didn't already have the 50D I would buy the 7D for the better AF alone.
 
7D has:
a far superior AF system - fantastic for wildlife and nature
HD video mode!
better overall weather sealing
if you use canon* macro lenses it has its own ai-macro-servo mode (auto enabled if you're using AIservo AF and focus the lens into macro distances)

50D has:
a slightly cheaper price ;)

Overall the 50D was a good camera to go for, but since the 7D game out anyone after action based photography really has jumped for this - its an outstanding camera body in all respects and the best you can get without going for a 1D line. Spend the extra and get the better body (its what I did) ;)

*far as I know only canon ones work - 3rd party might or might not I'm not sure (hard to compare when I don't have a canon lens to compare it against).
 
If you are completely new to photography and have no lenses or other equipment, then just get a used 50D. You can get a good used one for $550. Spend the rest on glass and lighting. You're not going to know the difference in faster focus and higher res if you're new to photography anyway. There's also no need in having a $1500 body for a $200 lens. You're going to need glass with a f2.8 aperture to get those fast focus speeds. Auto focus speed will likely be a non issue anyway for macro and landscape photography.
 
I own both and my 50D is collecting dust for the most part. The only time I ever use it is if I'm shooting some event that requires I use a second body. Otherwise, the 7D is better than the 50D is pretty much every regard. I noticed that at ISO 100 and ISO 200, images from the 50D were slightly cleaner than the 7D with regards to noise. 400-800 were about the same, and 1600+ are significantly better on the 7D. The only reason to get a 50D over a 7D is if you can't afford the 7D.
 
no question if you have the $$ get the 7D
 
Unless you have a bunch of really nice lenses, go for the 50D. I own the 5d Mark II and use the 50D as a back up. It is still a great camera, despite newer, better ones being released. My suggestion is: If you are really into macro photography and you do not own the new 100mm f/2.8L Macro with 4 STOPS--IS, buy it today. It is the sharpest lens I have ever used at all apertures, it has a ultra unique, solid build construction (even compared to other L's) I own a large collection of L lenses. It and the 24-70 f/2.8L are better than just about all the rest under 5k. I would much rather have the 100mm f/2.8L Macro and a 50D than just a 7D. Just about the same price too! Check Ebay for the 50D.

Tyler
Wedding and Portrait Photography
 
if you are into photography get the 7d so you dont have to upgrade later
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom