What's new

Camera Advice, Please

Likwid

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 30, 2025
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Rochester, NY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I am in a bit of a haze right now from all of my research, and I just don't know what to do. I have been shooting Canon forever, starting with the Rebel XS, then the T3i, T6i and currently, the RP (With all EF glass and the RF converter). I went on a trip to Yosemite recently, and everything changed. I went on a long hike in the rain, and came to the realization that I need something more weather-sealed and lighter. I had to leave my Tamron 150-600 home because it took up too much room, and I really wish I had that extra reach when we saw a bear. After doing weeks of research, I have (mostly) decided to "downgrade" to an APS-C sensor. My initial idea was to break my kit into 2 cameras, an OM Systems OM-5 for a really rugged lightweight setup, and a Sony A6700. Currently, I am trading 2 of my lenses in towards an A6700 and a 70-350 lens. I have been having second thoughts about leaving Canon, but the Sony lenses (At least the ones I am interested in) are cheaper and more compact, which is amazing. I could get more compact lenses for Canon if I get RF glass and not have to convert EF. I would end up getting a wide angle lens for landscapes and another lens to bridge the gap.

I love landscape photography, astrophotography, and I want to get back into wildlife, and also learn video. That is why I think the A6700 would be a good fit, because it is more hybrid. If I stay with Canon, I have some lenses that I can use now, namely the 24-105 f4 EF and the 100 f2.8 Macro. If I go with Sony, I have to sell everything and get all new, smaller more portable lenses. Staying with Canon, I can use what I have and slowly upgrade as money allows.

The R7 and A6700 seem to be well matched, other than the resolution jump in the R7 and the better video capabilities of the A6700. There is no real competition from Canon for the Sony 70-350 in that price range. The R8 also looks nice, even though it is full frame, and switching to RF glass would make things smaller. Seeing as though I am already in the Canon ecosystem, is it worth the extra effort and money to switch to Sony, or would I be happy with an R7 or an R8? Is there anything else in that price range, or any other super telephoto lenses you would recommend? Now that the A7IV is on sale, that is making the decision even worse. If i am spending all the money to switch to Sony, why not go with the A7IV for a couple hundred dollars more? Back when I got my RP, Full Frame was king for landscape. Now I feel like going back to APS-C would be a huge step back. Either the portability is going to get me to carry my camera around more, or I am going to regret it.

Thanks!
 
One thing you might consider is to get a high resolution body like a Nikon Z8 and shoot your tele sports/wildlife tele stuff in APS-C mode. And, you can still shoot your landscape stuff in FF. I do it all the time with my old Nikon D850. In APS-C mode it is still 19 MP and in FF it is 46 MP. Works for me.
 
APS-C is always going to be an afterthought for these companies. It is not their primary format. Very few lens choices to satisfy your needs. You will still end up in full frame glass so what is the point. Only good if you need more reach exclusively.

So for most cases either FF or MFT because they are primary formats. You will find the best lenses.
 
I recently did an upgrade from an RP as well, but I stayed with Canon. My situation was a little different from yours, I wanted to have 'fewer' pieces of gear in my kit. You mentioned APS-C a couple times in your post, but also once mentioned the Canon R7 and R8. If you have been doing a lot of research, I am sure you know that the R7 is indeed an APS-C but the R8 is full frame.

My old kit was centered around the Canon RP, and for lenses I had an RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro, an 85mm f/2 Macro, and a 100-400mm f/5.6-8 as well as an EF 300 F/4 L with a lens adapter. I sold it all and my new kit is:
Canon R8
RF 24-105 f/4 L
RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L

It's not quite 'pro level' but for what I do, it's plenty. I can do some landscape stuff at 24mm. It doesn't have a large enough aperture to do milky way photography, but I'm not really into that. The 100-500 can do most of the wildlife I can get around me.

So I ended up with having to just have one body and two lenses in my bag. I did swap out the factory hood that came with the 100-500mm to the Canon ES-83 hood - it fits well and is a lot less bulky. It doesn't have the little door to adjust a CPL, but I don't have a CPL so that doesn't really matter.

I doubt this advances your dilemma but maybe it gives you other things to consider on your journey.
 
I appreciate the input. I know the R7 is APS-C and the R8 is FF, but I wanted to be thorough in my research around that price range. I am going to go to a local camera store tonight to hold the A6700, R7 and the R8 should be pretty familiar already from the RP. You hit the other concern I have too, which is am I going to have to carry 2 bodies with me and a couple lenses, or is there a setup that I can use that is just a couple lenses and would be lighter overall. That's a large part of why I was looking at the R8. Maybe I just upgrade to that and get 2 or 3 nice lenses. If I get the R7 I still will likely have to get the bulky FF glass because the APS-C lenses are not going to be great coming from the EF L glass that I have now.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom