50mm 1.4 af-s nikkor or 35mm 1.8 af-s nikkor

Which lens would be better for walking around at night snapping at cars and people?

• 50mm 1.4 af-s nikkor

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 35mm 1.8 af-s nikkor

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

ToksikBombs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really want to get a fast lens for walking around in nighttime and just snapping at cars people and what not.

I was wondering what you guys thought would be a better lens for this situation?

Is there much difference in entry of light between the 1.4 and the 1.8?

Do you want wider angle shots or more telefocal shots? That's poll is a question you need to answer.

2/3rds of a stop.

In any one lighting situation and any one ISO, if you can shoot wide open at f/1.4 using 1/60th sec shutter speed you would have to use 1/40th when shooting at f/1.8 to get the same exposure.

Do you want wider angle shots or more telefocal shots? That's poll is a question you need to answer.
I guess it would mostly be wider angle, but i also want some distance since im gonna be taking pics of people i dont know, but i think 35mm would be fine. i was also thinking 50mm would limit me sometimes since its so zooomed in, that if i saw a car or something i like it would be too close and i would have to back off of many things to get a good shot.

2/3rds of a stop.

In any one lighting situation and any one ISO, if you can shoot wide open at f/1.4 using 1/60th sec shutter speed you would have to use 1/40th when shooting at f/1.8 to get the same exposure.
So thats not that bad right. and btw the most i can put my is 800, i have a d40 and it gets grainy after 800 :( thats another thing i was thinking, with an 800 iso. i think would have to go with the 1.4, unless its barely a difference. do you think it would be much a difference?

get the 35 1.8, save yourself some cash.

35mm might be a better walk around lens, 50mm is only the long end but it's a good range for head shots.

get the 35 1.8, save yourself some cash.
Yea, true, Im gonna get the 35mm and get myself a sb600
35mm might be a better walk around lens, 50mm is only the long end but it's a good range for head shots.
Yea thats what i was thinking, thanks for that tip.

And thanks to all for helping me out here, Ive decided to go with the 35mm!!

Most reactions

Back