50mm 1.8.... really worth it?

mattydipps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking to expand my lenses on my d60 from the one it came with.... can anyone give me a review of the 50mm f1.8 af-s...... reading it on websites and actually talking to someone with it are two different things in my book lol..

I bought the 50/1.8 AF-S G late last month. Seems to be a decent lens, although I seem to see some focus shift when the lens is stopped down to f/8 from wide-open...which ruined some critical-focus night shots I did using the VIEWFINDER and focusing by EYE at night-time with the lens wide-open at f/1.8...so, that kinda sucked. My biggest complaint is that the lens hood and the lens itself are too damned big for a 50/1.8...the size is just a little bit too large...it does NOT integrate well with a full kit of Nikkor primes, with that infernal 58mm accessory size...

my main interest in the lens is the very good reviews about night (or close to dark) shots.. ive been doing alot of photos of cars and other objects at night with very dull light and the photos just arent where i want them to be... a buddy of mine actually refered me to this lens but hes using a d90 with no af-s

Well, I often shoot with the 24,35,45-P as my "small primes" in a fanny pack...the 50/1.8 AF-S G + lens hood is too fat, and the caps do not match up...I have absolutely no idea why Nikon went 58mm on this thing...the 50mm 1.8 AF or AF-D lenses both had 52mm filters and thus the same-sized front lens cap size AND were almost the same size as the 24/2.8 or 35mm f/2 primes...I really did NOT think the size of the hood and all would be that big of a deal when I BOUGHT the lens, but it has turned into more of a PITA than I thought...it's just been made too damned BULKY for a 50/1.8 lens...at least for the user who wants a compact 50...

Yes, it's worth every penny. You'll need the 50mm F1.8G if you want to auto focus on your D60.

I'm sure you could spend a few bucks on eBay for a cheap manual focus 50 f/1.8 before you decide if you want to get an AF one.

Do I need to get the autofocus lens? Or will it hurt my camera to get a manual focus lens?

It won't hurt your camera, though your camera won't meter and you will have to shoot in manual mode.

It won't hurt your camera, though your camera won't meter and you will have to shoot in manual mode.

That's not a big deal id rather spend the 150 bucks less for a manual focus lens to see if I like that lens and put that extra money into a nice flash

Good idea. The 50mm AI is a very good choice and goes for very little money.

So I went ahead and bought a factory demo today for 80 bucks with a two year warentee.... So far so good I like it alot, alot better then my auto focus on my d60 to be frank, I just have to nail the appature down and shutter speed and I'll be a professional in no time haha

If you have an AF motor, pick up the D version for pennies!!! It's awesome!!!
If you need the G version, pick it up as well... yes, it will improve your game!!!

So I went ahead and bought a factory demo today for 80 bucks with a two year warentee.... So far so good I like it alot, alot better then my auto focus on my d60 to be frank, I just have to nail the appature down and shutter speed and I'll be a professional in no time haha

I just now that this. Kudos!!! Great deal!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back