50mm 1.8D came in C&C please.

artoledo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So my 50mm came in today and most of my pics came out super blury. I dont use the manual setting on my D90 because of my lack of knowledge. I had the camera set on portrait setting with no flash and this is the result. Any idea why this one came out this way?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38424806@N02/3535043226/in/photostream/

This one was take with much better results.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38424806@N02/3535044912/in/photostream/

And this one was my favorite shot of the night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38424806@N02/3534230663/in/photostream/

Your first it out of focus pretty bad, the second is a bit bright from the flash, but the third looks more properly exposed. Not much happening compositionally, but you probably want to fix your exposure/focus issues first. Congrats though on the new lens, I love mine.

Your first it out of focus pretty bad, the second is a bit bright from the flash, but the third looks more properly exposed. Not much happening compositionally, but you probably want to fix your exposure/focus issues first. Congrats though on the new lens, I love mine.

Any ideas of what could be happening in the first pic?

Camera:Nikon D90Exposure:0.125 sec (1/8)Aperture:f/2.8Focal Length:50 mmFocal Length:50.4 mmISO Speed:800Exposure Bias:0 EVFlash:Auto, Fired, Return detected
File Size:4.4 MBFile Type:JPEGMIME Type:image/jpegImage Width:4288Image Height:2848Encoding Process:Baseline DCT, Huffman codingBits Per Sample:8Color Components:3Orientation:Horizontal (normal)X-Resolution:300 dpiY-Resolution:300 dpiSoftware:Ver.1.00 Date and Time (Modified):2008:05:15 18:43:26YCbCr Positioning:Co-sitedExposure Program:Not DefinedDate and Time (Original):2008:05:15 18:43:26Date and Time (Digitized):2008:05:15 18:43:26Compressed Bits Per Pixel:4Max Aperture Value:1.7Metering Mode:Multi-segmentLight Source:UnknownSub Sec Time:00Sub Sec Time Original:00Sub Sec Time Digitized:00Color Space:sRGBSensing Method:One-chip color areaCFAPattern:[Green,Blue][Red,Green]Custom Rendered:NormalExposure Mode:AutoWhite Balance:AutoDigital Zoom Ratio:1Focal Length In35mm Format:75 mmScene Capture Type:StandardGain Control:Low gain upContrast:NormalSaturation:NormalSharpness:NormalSubject Distance Range:UnknownMaker Note Version:2.10ISO:800Quality:FineWhite Balance:AutoFocus Mode:AF-AFlash Setting:SlowFlash Type:Built-in,TTLWhite Balance Fine Tune:0 0Color Balance1:1.8671875 1.24609375 1 1Program Shift:0Exposure Difference:0Flash Exposure Comp:0ISOSetting:800Image Boundary:0 0 4288 2848Flash Exposure Bracket Value:0.0Exposure Bracket Value:0Crop Hi Speed:Off (4352x2868 cropped to 4352x2868 at pixel 0,0)Serial Number:3149770Color Space:sRGBVRInfo Version:0100Vibration Reduction:OffActive D- Lighting:Unknown (65535)Picture Control Version:0100Picture Control Name:PortraitPicture Control Base:PortraitPicture Control Adjust:Default SettingsPicture Control Quick Adjust:n/aSharpness:AutoContrast:AutoBrightness:NormalSaturation:NormalHue Adjustment:NoneFilter Effect:n/aToning Effect:n/aToning Saturation:n/aTimezone:-05:00Daylight Savings:YesDate Display Format:M/D/YISOExpansion:OffISO2:800ISOExpansion2:OffLens Type:DLens:50mm f/1.8Flash Mode:Fired, TTL ModeShooting Mode:ContinuousAuto Bracket Release:Auto ReleaseLens FStops:7.33Shot Info Version:0213Noise Reduction:OffWB_ RGGBLevels:2848 0 0 0Lens Data Version:0204Exit Pupil Position:58.5 mmAFAperture:1.8Focus Position:0x11Focus Distance:1.00 mLens IDNumber:118Min Focal Length:50.4 mmMax Focal Length:50.4 mmMax Aperture At Min Focal:1.8Max Aperture At Max Focal:1.8MCUVersion:122Effective Max Aperture:1.8Retouch History:NoneImage Data Size:4577668Shutter Count:1708Flash Info Version:0103Flash Model:InternalExternal Flash Flags:(none)Flash Commander Mode:OffFlash Control Mode:iTTL-BLFlash Group AControl Mode:OffFlash Group BControl Mode:OffFlash Group CControl Mode:OffFlash Group AExposure Comp:0Flash Group BExposure Comp:0Flash Group CExposure Comp:0Vari Program:Night PortraitMulti Exposure Version:0100Multi Exposure Mode:OffMulti Exposure Shots:0Multi Exposure Auto Gain:OffHigh ISONoise Reduction:NormalAFInfo2 Version:0100AFArea Mode:Auto-area AFAuto Focus:Unknown (2)AFPoints Used:C6File Info Version:0100Directory Number:100File Number:0505Compression:JPEG (old-style)XResolution:300YResolution:300Resolution Unit:inchesPreview Image Start:10204Preview Image Length:24921YCb Cr Positioning:Co-sitedGPSVersion ID:2.2.0.0Compression:JPEG (old-style)

I dont use the manual setting on my D90 because of my lack of knowledge

That's why your shots came out the way they did. You let the camera decide what to shoot, and it did. F/2.8 on an F/1.8 lens, is you dumping 1 1/3 stop worth of light and shooting at 1/8th of a second. Get the camera off MANUAL. It's a digital camera. These are pictures of your kids and your. . .female in the kitchen - it's not like you're shooting a shot of Jesus Christ reborn; you CAN experiment. Theres no reason to be shooting in Auto Mode - any of the other programmed auto modes - Aperture priority, Shutter priority or Programmed Auto - offer more flexibility than straight auto.

That's why your shots came out the way they did. You let the camera decide what to shoot, and it did. F/2.8 on an F/1.8 lens, is you dumping 1 1/3 stop worth of light and shooting at 1/8th of a second. Get the camera off MANUAL. It's a digital camera. These are pictures of your kids and your. . .female in the kitchen - it's not like you're shooting a shot of Jesus Christ reborn; you CAN experiment. Theres no reason to be shooting in Auto Mode - any of the other programmed auto modes - Aperture priority, Shutter priority or Programmed Auto - offer more flexibility than straight auto.
Is there any documentation that I can read on proper shutter speed, iso and f stop?

Any ideas of what could be happening in the first pic?
Looks like camera shake to me.

Set the camera to Av and adjust the aperture to f/1.8 and then try it again. You should get better results.

hey do you have a UV filter on the lens?

Naw. Good to see you taking it off auto. Nice little self portrait action.
Thanks! I think I am getting the feel of the ISO, SS and F-stop settings and the times I should adjust them. Its not as bad as i thought it would be.

Imbedding an image from Flickr: Go to the picture you want to use from Flickr and click on "All Sizes" (above your picture). Select the size you want to display and then look below the picture for the #2 box that says "Grab the photo's URL:". Highlight to select it and then right click the selection and hit Cut (or Copy). Now go back to the TPF (The Photo Forum) post you want to imbed the image in. Click on the yellow icon above the message box (the one that looks like a mini-landscape). In the box that pops up, paste the URL in box (make sure you only have 1 "http://" in the URL line before you hit the Ok button). Hit the Ok button. Click on the "Preview Post" button to see if your picture is imbedded in the post.

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners - Read "The Basics Of Exposure"

Digital Photography Composition Tips

3535044912_58ba2f0902_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back