50mm 1.8G series vs. G.

TheCameraLady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting a d7000 and I had the 50mm 1.8d on my 5100 before it was stolen and I loved it. Even though it was only manual focus it got me to really look at what I was taking a picture of. I know that the D series will autofocus on the d7000 and I have used the G series before when I shot prom, there were a lot of autofocusing issues even when it wasn't in really low light. So, which should I get the D or G series?
Sorry if it is a stupid question because the G series is newer, but I was wondering if the D happened to work better on the d7000.

The G is better wide open than the D. The G is less prone to flare. Both are good. I have the G and its decent. I like how small the D version is. All boils down to what you need.

the G lenses spec out a hair better than the D lenses, but a few of our primes are D or older AF lenses and they still perform just fine.
I think you would be hard pressed to be wrong going with the newest version available, but if you are working with a budget the D lenses work perfectly well.
I still take some great pics with my old nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 so dont discount older glass just because its not the latest and greatest. the AF and D versions were top of the line once, and you can get them used at some good prices.

I do not like the large filter size (58mm) of the G series 50, nor its big lens hood...it does not integrate well with the other small Nikkor primes 24/35/50-D...it's wayyy too fat and too bulky for easy carry with other primes...I have a 50-G and two of the older screw-drive AF models...the 50-G gets left home about 95% of the time. I regret having bought the 50-G. It's not 'that much' better than the lens it's supposed to replace.

I think I'll go with the D. Mostly because I am a little more used to it. Plus, I didn't like how plastic-y it felt.

I do not like the large filter size (58mm) of the G series 50, nor its big lens hood...it does not integrate well with the other small Nikkor primes 24/35/50-D...it's wayyy too fat and too bulky for easy carry with other primes...I have a 50-G and two of the older screw-drive AF models...the 50-G gets left home about 95% of the time. I regret having bought the 50-G. It's not 'that much' better than the lens it's supposed to replace.

we have the 50mm 1.8D and 1.4D and love both of them. the 1.4 gets used most of the time. not for the larger aperture for the most part, but more because it seems to be built a little better than the 1.8

Also, wow I just realized I have G vs. G in the title. Sorry guys/mods.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back