50mm help for a noob

ZacharyxRobert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, I’m new to photography and this past year I’ve heard a lot of people mention the “nifty fifty” lens. I’m interested in it due to the versatility it seems to have and it’s pretty inexpensive. I’ve run into a problem though. I’ve read online that it doesn’t actually work as a 50mm lens on APS-C bodies(I have a Canon SL2). Is there a similar lens that’s as versatile or cheap as the 50mm lens that will work on APS-C and give me the same feel without the “cropped look” that I’ve read about?

Welcome aboard.

The focal length still remains 50 mm, however the view angle (the side-to-side area of the scene) becomes smaller when compared to using the lens on a full frame or 35 mm film camera; it will be closer to how a 75 mm lens is on a full frame.

I still shoot film and used a 50 mm when I had my APS-C D40. It was fine most of the time, but a little long in smaller rooms. For an alternate, try something around 35 mm.

Below is a link that gives some detail on what crop factor is.

I shoot Nikon and they make a 35mm f1.8 lens which is great for a cropped sensor. I had one on my old D5100. I would think Canon also has something equilivant. 50mm or 35mm are both good focal lengths, depending on what you shoot.

What is Crop Factor? - Photography Life

I loved the 50mm when I had my crop Nikon. Great for head shots and half body portraits. The 35mm 1.8 is nice too but I wasn’t crazy about it for up close people photos.

First suggestion, don't worry about "cropped look", it doesn't mean anything. In your case, the difference in lenses is in field of view (yes, I know there are other differences, but bear with me). For Canon, the factor is 1.6. When people talk about a "nifty fifty", they are primarily talking about the field of view of a 50mm lens. So a 31.25mm lens on your SL2 would have the same field of view as the "nifty fifty". Of course, there are no 31.25 mm lenses. The closest would be a 35mm. Your other options for a prime lens on a Canon would be a 40mm and a 50mm. Since I assume you have an 18-55mm zoom, I would suggest you take it out for a day of shooting and set it at 35mm take some shots, set it a 40mm take some shots and then set it at 50mm take some shots. If you like one of the focal lengths better, them buy a prime at that focal length. Also, check the f-stops you are using, which will help you determine whether you really need a prime lens.

I have a Nikon 35mm 1.8f that I love, but I don't think there is anything quite equivalent for Canon, in f-stop and value. To me, the most important element of a prime lens is the lower f-stop than a zoom. I also wouldn't buy a lens unless you have a specific need for it. Just having a "nifty fifty" is not enough reason.

If the only lens you have is an 18-55mm, then I think your money would be better spent getting a longer zoom lens like a 55-250mm.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the helpful information!

The crop factor can be a big deal. I have a 50mm 1.8 lens. It's an EF lens but works on my Canon t5i. Very nice focus and lets in lots of light. But there are times when I'm too close to my subject and can't back up. For example pictures of cars in parades. Like Dunfly says, try the kit lens and see what focal length would work the best for you.

In the film days, the "normal" lens for a 35mm camera was a 50mm lens.
If you bought a camera kit (body + lens), the lens was a 50mm lens.
So the vast majority of the public had and used the 50mm lens. Hence its familiarity and the catchy name.
BUT that was a 35mm film camera.

Today with digital, that 35mm film is equivalent to the "full frame" cameras.
As was mentioned, the APS-C camera is a crop camera, so the calculated equivalent of the 50mm lens is about 31mm (50mm/1.6crop), which does not exist. So you get the closest lens to that, which is 35mm, and call it done. That is your APS-C equivalent to the nifty-fify.

Having said that, Canon does not make a 35mm crop lens (that I know of). If you want a 35mm lens for your Canon, you have to buy either a full frame Canon lens ($550), or a Youngnuo crop lens ($100).

The 'nifty-fifty' is not as versatile as you may think it is.
It is a SINGLE focal length lens, a prime lens. And that has limits.
You have to use your feet, to compensate for the fixed focal length.
  • If the subject is too small, you use your feet to move you closer, to get a larger image.
  • If the subject is too big, you use your feet to move you farther away, to get a smaller image.
  • But what if you can't get closer?
    • Then you switch to a telephoto lens.
  • But what if you can't back up enough?
    • Then you switch to a wide angle lens.
With your zoom, you just twist the zoom ring, and the lens changes the viewing angle.

Is this a big deal? Maybe, maybe not.
People have used fixed lens cameras for decades, before zooms were invented.
Then with film SLRs, swapping/changing lenses was a fact of life. This meant having multiple lenses; wide, normal and tele.
We adapted to what we had, and used it.

What the 50 and many primes gives you is a FASTER lens.
In practical terms, this means that you can shoot in lower light than with your zoom.
Example, when I shoot basketball in my local gym, I switch from my slow zoom to the fast 35mm f/1.8 lens. I loose the zoom function, but I gain in the lower light capability.

Most reactions

Back