50mm Lens for Nikon D80

Nikklaus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yo,

I am looking to get a 50mm lens for my D80. Suprise, the usual deal - I don't know which to buy ha. Can anyone offer their opinion? Obviously I don't want to spend loads, but basically I want a really decent quality/price compromise. I guess my budget would be £300, but I could stretch maybe... I dunno.

I've been told that Sigma are good, but I don't know anything further than that.

Also would I be right in thinking that the difference between a fixed focal length 50mm lens and a 18-70mm lens zoomed in at 50mm is the aperture capabilities?

:sexywink:

Yo,

I am looking to get a 50mm lens for my D80. Suprise, the usual deal - I don't know which to buy ha. Can anyone offer their opinion? Obviously I don't want to spend loads, but basically I want a really decent quality/price compromise. I guess my budget would be £300, but I could stretch maybe... I dunno.

I've been told that Sigma are good, but I don't know anything further than that.

Also would I be right in thinking that the difference between a fixed focal length 50mm lens and a 18-70mm lens zoomed in at 50mm is the aperture capabilities?

:sexywink:
You want to get either the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D for around $100 or the new 50mm AF-S which costs closer to $300 IIRC. Advantages over a zoom are bigger max aperture, compactness and superior sharpness, at the expense of being stuck at one focal length.

There is ONLY ONE lens that makes his list and that is the one that jstuedle mentions.

There is no cheaper 50mm on the market that is this sharp and gives you this level of nice results. Just be aware that this is a FX lens and on your camera will be more like a 75mm in terms of field of view.

Hey thanks very much for your help. What do you mean by FX lens? Which nikon cameras would be better suited to this lens? Thanks again.

The 50mm f/1.8 is the best bang for the buck
Or the 50mm f/1.4 AF-D (The d80 has internal AF so u dont need the more expensive AF-S Version)

Hey thanks very much for your help. What do you mean by FX lens? Which nikon cameras would be better suited to this lens? Thanks again.

FX lens means it covers the full frame and will work on almost any Nikon. DX means that it only covers a smaller imaging circle and will only work on low end Nikon digital SLRs. I suggest that you avoid DX lenses and go for FX only (unless you need DX ultra-wides, for which you don't have much of a choice).

The Nikon D700, D3, D3X, and all film Nikons are what this lens was designed for. It'll also work fine on D1/D1H/D1X/D2H/D2X/D40/D40X/D50/D60/D70/D80/D90/D100/D200/D300. Basically FX lenses work on all cameras, while DX lenses work only on certain models.

FX is Nikon's name for there full frame sensor, DX is what they call the smaller sensor in all DSLR's except the D3/X and D700. Some also call the smaller sensor the "Clip Chip".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back