What's new

50yo+ Building Contest Entry

Qveon

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 14, 2012
Messages
114
Reaction score
16
Location
NW IN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$winner_sm.webp

It was a structure used for loading steam locomotives with coal and water. Its for a photo competition and the requirements are historic building 50+ years or older in our county. How well do you think I'll do?
 
Its tough to say how I think you will do without seeing the other entries.

I like this image a 6 out of 10 if that helps.

Good luck.
 
Hmmmm... It's a nice enough image, but it does have a few issues that make me wonder how well it will do in competition. First is the large blown area where the sun is rising/setting. It might have been worth trying to shoot this as an HDR. Another is the slightly distorted perspective of the tower caused by your shooting position and camera angle. If you have access to Photoshop, there are software tools which can help correct this. This looks like an active rail line; have you considered waiting to get a train in the shot? I might also consider a monochrome version just to see how that looks. (And, FWIW, that's a coaling tower; it didn't supply water, just coal)
 
^^^ Agree completely with this. It would have been better to shoot from the other side of the structure with the sun at your back.
 
I do have HDRs from both sides multiple angles. I bet i forgot to do lens correction. i tried two with photoshop's auto HDR and did not like any of the presets. I'll explore the pictures from the other side tomorrow. Too much on my mind, heh.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom