52 Weeks (NOW COMPLETED! WOOHOO!)

I had the fortunate opportunity to visit Seattle this past weekend. It was my first time in Washington, and the weather was especially good. Sunny and in the 70's for the entire weekend. I was getting a feel for the city, checking out the job market, and seeing if I'd like to move near there someday.

Walking down the busy streets, towards the Space Needle, I noticed these two young gentlemen sitting against a concrete wall, with matching outfits. Finding their parents nearby, I got permission to take their portrait.

The two proved totally comfortable with the camera as I spoke with them, asking if it was ok to take their photo. They nodded, and I snapped off a couple frames before letting the parents know where they could find the photo.

I really enjoy portraiture, but I especially enjoy it when the shots happen so organically.

Week 23 of 52: Sons of Seattle

52 Weeks: Sons of Seattle (Week 23/52) by TogaLive, on Flickr

For Week 24 of my 52 Weeks photo project, I headed out to do a portrait shoot in downtown Davis. The summer heat was beating down on us, but a sunset provided just the light we needed as the sun poked through the tops of nearby buildings.

This week represents my return to portraiture after a two-month hiatus. Not that I've been avoiding portrait shoots, but I've simply been too mobile to arrange any kind of shoot. Now that I'm moving to a somewhat more permanent place, what with the new job and all, I plan to really ramp up my portrait shooting once again. On another note, I will likely be working with Courtney to do a boudoir shoot in the near future, which should be fun!

Here's to new photoshoots!

Week 24 of 52: Courtney

52 Weeks: Courtney (Week 24/52) by TogaLive, on Flickr

nice shots. I didn't go thru all the photos but what I saw I liked!

Week 25 of 52: A Light in the Dark

A Light in the Dark by TogaLive, on Flickr

A lone fishing vessel illuminates the coastline along California's Lost Coast on a summer night. Taken during my last couple days living on California's Lost Coast, near Bodega Bay.

Week 26 of 52: Santa Cruz

52 Weeks: Santa Cruz (Week 26/52) by TogaLive, on Flickr

This is it. Week 26. The halfway mark to my completion of my very first photographic marathon, my first 52 Weeks project.

Having moved to the Bay Area on Monday, starting a new job on Tuesday, and subsequently being overwhelmed by the desire to just curl up into a ball and do nothing but read the hours away, I finally decided enough was enough on Sunday. I needed a photo for this week, and I wasn't going to simply let the suburbia of Mountain View dry up my passion for photography.

I packed my bags, and drove one hour Southwest to Santa Cruz. I didn't know what I was looking for, but I knew I'd see it when the time came, so I simply walked. I walked, and walked, and walked. I got some food, and I walked some more. Eventually, I found myself on the beach at high tide, the waves rolling in at my knees as I stood next to a large, encrusted rock. Slates of rocks provided leading lines, as did the faltering, lighter reflections of the sun which had already set. Large trees, and a beach house marked the background. It was Santa Cruz as I had never seen it. I took my photo, glanced it over, and headed home content.

Another week down.

P.S: I'd really appreciate any feedback folks might have on this one, I don't often shoot BW, but thought it lent itself well here :)

First off- Congrats on the halfway mark. Farther than most, and you're officially "finishing it up" now. Lot more resolve than I could have. I cannot even commit to the 30day challenges.

The image is excellent. I like the way you smoothed the water out, and there are no way overblown areas of white. The bottom left of the rock is a touch dark but its not something I would ever have even mentioned if you hadn't asked for Cc.

The scene has a lot of depth. I like it.

First off- Congrats on the halfway mark. Farther than most, and you're officially "finishing it up" now. Lot more resolve than I could have. I cannot even commit to the 30day challenges.

The image is excellent. I like the way you smoothed the water out, and there are no way overblown areas of white. The bottom left of the rock is a touch dark but its not something I would ever have even mentioned if you hadn't asked for Cc.

The scene has a lot of depth. I like it.

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback, and the encouragement! I'm all with you as far as the left end of the frame goes.

As for the project, it's certainly had one or two weeks where I just was down to the wire, but somehow it always works out, a photo always presents itself. I think it has, at least for me, been less a lesson in persistence than in simply learning to keep my eyes open when the time comes. Being able to turn on that switch. Regardless it has been a BLAST and I'm looking forward to the second half :) I already have my next project picked out, and it should bring forth some really interesting stories.

Week 27 of 52: Magic

Dirt sprays as horse and rider soar during a morning practice. Taken near Davis, CA.

52 Weeks: Magic (Week 27/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Story:
Week 27 of my 52 Weeks project came and went in a flash. Between adjusting to the new job, and finally settling in somewhat to my new housing situation, I found myself back in Davis for the weekend, without a clue what to shoot for the week's photo. Posting online, seeing if anyone would bite for a photoshoot, someone commented on photographing horses. The ideas starting spinning, and next thing I knew I was at a stable early Sunday morning.

Looking online, I saw nothing but telephoto shots of horses jumping. Now, there's nothing wrong with telephoto, but I really didn't feel like the photos gave the same scale that these beautiful creatures are due. Following that logic, I opted for my 17-40mm. I wanted to be close. Really, really close.

And I was. Meeting with our rider, Karissa, and her beautiful gelding Magic, I was nothing short of fascinated by the connection the two shared. Even having been raised around horses all my life, I simply couldn't help but appreciate the finesse exercised before me. Gaining the confidence to get the shot I needed, I stepped forward and crouched right at the corner of the jump. I was about 4 feet from where the two would jump just as Magic began his approach.

The seconds that followed stretched for an impossibly long time. Just beyond arm's reach, horse and rider left the ground, flew what seemed to be nearly overhead, and landed mere feet away. Even the dirt Magic kicked up had yet to fall back to earth as the two soared.

I was beyond impressed, and one happy photographer.

With that, a special thanks to Karissa and Magic for making this week's photo such a thrilling experience!

Last edited:
Week 28 of 52: Realm of the Lighthouse

North of idyllic Santa Cruz, California's Pigeon Point Lighthouse stands against the elements, as it has since 1871.

52 Weeks: Realm of the Lighthouse (Week 28/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Nice color, but I find myself yearning for more definition in the sky. It just seems a bit washed out. But keep up the good work! It's impressive to see how one grows from a project like this.. And it makes me think I should do one... Hmm..

Jake

Great portfolio thus far! Looking forward to more weeks ahead

Week 28 of 52: Realm of the Lighthouse

North of idyllic Santa Cruz, California's Pigeon Point Lighthouse stands against the elements, as it has since 1871.

52 Weeks: Realm of the Lighthouse (Week 28/52) by TogaLive, on Flickr

Nice color, but I find myself yearning for more definition in the sky. It just seems a bit washed out. But keep up the good work! It's impressive to see how one grows from a project like this.. And it makes me think I should do one... Hmm..

Jake

I know what you mean, that's how I felt shooting it. The sky was just a grey sheet, not one bit of texture I could pull out of it there or in post. That said, I didn't use an ND filter here, so I was pushing the exposure limits a tad and probably lost what little detail there might have been.

You should do one! I've already got my next project lined up for when this one is done in 5 months. The biggest growth I've seen here isn't so much technical growth, but more being able to go and really flip a switch into photog mode reliably and when I really need to. Lot's of the time I procrastinate and only have a couple hours to get the shot, but have no idea what to actually shoot, yet I know now that if I focus on it something will come my way. I'm really grateful for that.

Great portfolio thus far! Looking forward to more weeks ahead

Awesome, glad you like it, and happy to have another subscriber :)

Week 29 of 52:

52 Weeks: Until Sunset (Week 29/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Week 29 of my 52 Weeks photo project comes courtesy of my most recent shoot. Taking place in the hills of Pena Adobe park, near Vacaville, CA the harsh sunlight provided a unique mood to the sparse landscape. My second equestrian shoot, I'm quickly learning that getting solid shots of horses can be tough, but that if they are captured correctly it truly gives photos a unique quality.

Week 29 of 52:

52 Weeks: Until Sunset (Week 29/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Week 29 of my 52 Weeks photo project comes courtesy of my most recent shoot. Taking place in the hills of Pena Adobe park, near Vacaville, CA the harsh sunlight provided a unique mood to the sparse landscape. My second equestrian shoot, I'm quickly learning that getting solid shots of horses can be tough, but that if they are captured correctly it truly gives photos a unique quality.

Very nicely done man.

Most reactions

Back