52 Weeks (NOW COMPLETED! WOOHOO!)

Clouds race towards the horizon at sunrise, above Bear Gulch Reservoir - Pinnacles National Park.

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Lee .9 GND Soft
Lee Big Stopper

Story: Week 45 was a difficult one for me, but it provided some useful insights.

I spent most of the week driving straight home after work. I wanted to take photos, but I couldn't settle on what of, or how. For me, that's about as frustrating as it gets. I felt like I should be doing more with my photography, but also felt trapped, unable to act on such strong feelings. By the end of Thursday I was in ruin, depressed, and frustrated.

Only then did I decide I was sick of my own inaction. In an hour I had my bags packed, and the following afternoon I was off to Pinnacles National Park on a completely self-serving, solo photography mission.

I rose early every day, beating sunrise to the local reservoir and hiking some 12 miles over the course of the weekend. It was inspiring, refreshing, and really helped me re-center on what I want out of my photography. I also had the incredible opportunity of having 6 incredibly rare California Condors give me a fantastic flyby.

I've also settled on what my next photo project will be!

To all of you who have followed me thus far in my journey, I hope your weekend was as pleasant as mine turned out to be. God knows, we all need a break now and then.

Week 45 of 52: Confluence

52 Weeks: Confluence (45/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Week 46 of my 52 Weeks photo project was truly a treat. Not only did I get to spend a wonderful weekend in Davis celebrating my birthday, but I also finally settled on my next photo project!

Walking through the Davis Farmer's Market, a local Saturday morning affair, I spotted these three ladies near a large playground. Even from a distance, the photo opportunity was clear as day.

I introduced myself, and requested to take their photo. Graciously, they agreed, and we exchanged names.

"Let me guess. Grandmother, granddaughter, mother?" I asked.

"Close, I'm actually the Aunt." replied Heather.

"I'm Miriam" added the charming grandmother.

"And this is Clara" Heather elaborated, motioning towards the youngest of the three.

"How do you spell that?" I asked

"C-l-a-r-a" Clara piped, "everyone always messes it up."

52 Weeks: Generations of Smiles (46/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Miriam, Clara, and Heather, it was a pleasure meeting you, and I thank you for taking part in my project. You've inspired me to chase new horizons in my next project!

Also, to get a glance of Heather's fantastic pup, Keeper, check out the next photo on Flickr! At six years old, Keeper is a classic tail of a rescue that turned into a life-long friendship.

Note: I won't give out all the details on the new project now, they will come in a couple weeks with the conclusion of this year-long endeavor. However, this photo, and it's story, might lend some clues as to what you should expect!

Last edited:
Week 47 of my 52 Weeks project had me at a familiar location, shooting a still somewhat unfamiliar genre, couples shoots.

I met up with Jack and Olivia and knew right away that the shoot was going to be a blast. They were the perfect couple: relaxed yet energetic, and totally on point when it came to knocking out a good kiss now and then.

We visited the graphically beautiful Stevenson Bridge in Davis, along with an old orchard, and a nearby field. The shoot went wonderfully. More and more I'm finding myself wanting to shoot couples and weddings, simply because the shoots are always so up-beat.

What's the easiest way to be a happy photographer? Shoot happy people :)

Week 47 of 52: Olivia and Jack

52 Weeks: Olivia and Jack (47/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Week 46 of my 52 Weeks photo project was truly a treat. Not only did I get to spend a wonderful weekend in Davis celebrating my birthday, but I also finally settled on my next photo project!

Walking through the Davis Farmer's Market, a local Saturday morning affair, I spotted these three ladies near a large playground. Even from a distance, the photo opportunity was clear as day.

I introduced myself, and requested to take their photo. Graciously, they agreed, and we exchanged names.

"Let me guess. Grandmother, granddaughter, mother?" I asked.

"Close, I'm actually the Aunt." replied Heather.

"I'm Miriam" added the charming grandmother.

"And this is Clara" Heather elaborated, motioning towards the youngest of the three.

"How do you spell that?" I asked

"C-l-a-r-a" Clara piped, "everyone always messes it up."

52 Weeks: Generations of Smiles (46/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Miriam, Clara, and Heather, it was a pleasure meeting you, and I thank you for taking part in my project. You've inspired me to chase new horizons in my next project!

Also, to get a glance of Heather's fantastic pup, Keeper, check out the next photo on Flickr! At six years old, Keeper is a classic tail of a rescue that turned into a life-long friendship.

Note: I won't give out all the details on the new project now, they will come in a couple weeks with the conclusion of this year-long endeavor. However, this photo, and it's story, might lend some clues as to what you should expect!
I love this shot! (I also like the backstory.)

Wow. 48 Weeks have passed in a flash, and here I am, nearing the end of this wonderful project. I'm not yet finished, the story isn't complete, but I can say it's been quite a journey.

Week 48, one of my last, had me racing to the coast after work. Originally planning to head to my favorite spot, Davenport Beach, I turned and picked a location I had only heard rumor of: Sharktooth Beach.

The small secluded cove is protected by towering cliffs on all sides, and features a massive sea stack. Home to resting pelicans, the stack framed sunset perfectly, and I quickly fell in love with the algae covered rocks. As waves rushed past to my right, and broke on the rocks to my left, I simply got to sit back and watch the sunset go by. As the sun dipped below the horizon, cliffs became steeped in shadow, and vibrant reds shot through the spray of breaking waves.

It was a truly memorable sunset, and Sharktooth Beach is now at the top of my list of incredible beaches to revisit, camera in hand, or not.

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17 - 40 f/4L
Lee .9 GND Soft

Week 48 of 52: Land Before Time

52 Weeks: Land Before Time (48/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Anyone who feels like helping me out, a "Like" or share for my Facebook page would be a huge help.

Week 49 of my 52 Weeks project had me doing one of my favorite styles of shoot, boudoir.

What I love about boudoir is what most people completely forget these shoots are really about: the subject's personality. It isn't about raw sex appeal, leave that to lingerie shoots and budget hotel rooms. It isn't about brash nudity, that isn't enough. It's about the beauty of seeing what your subject really is when you take everything away.

So for this week, I found myself shooting in a new field near Davis, CA with a new client. It was a learning experience as all boudoir shoots are, a chance to really get to know someone on a level few get to, simply because you're in their company when they decide to let it all out.

For this week's shoot a big thanks goes out to my subject, Yappo, and my awesome assistant Vyvy. You were both fantastic!

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

"Unbound"

52 Weeks: Unbound (Week 49/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

"Rift"

Vibrant sunset clouds streak by overhead as a mist of waves fills the canyons of Bonny Doon Beach, Davenport.

52 Weeks: Rift (50/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40f/4L
Lee .9GNDS
Lee Big Stopper

Almost there, Week 50 of 52! This time around had me on a trip out to Davenport, CA in the middle of a rainstorm. The drive was a nightmare, but surprisingly most all of the rain cleared up once I made it to the coast.

I headed to a new location, Bonny Doon Beach, one of Davenport's more popular locations. In the process of scouting out another portion of beach which was a bit too treacherous to shoot that day, I noticed these beautiful algae-covered slabs in the distance. So, I checked them out, set up my tripod, and got to waiting for sunset to arrive!

After the coastal adventures of Week 50, Week 51 of my project came in a blur. Initially I had myself scheduled to do a beach shoot, but that didn't work out. Next thing I know I'm shooting these two awesome guys in Davis, CA's greenbelt.

Full disclosure, while I am a complete believer in the right for two people to be happy and love each other, doing my first shoot for a gay couple was a little unnerving at first. Not because of any ethical or moral quandaries, there aren't any, have you seen these two? They're awesome together! Instead, I simply wasn't quite sure how I'd pose two guys together. I'm used to a female and male, the first usually smaller. That difference really helps when it comes to seeing who fits in who's lap for a classic couple's pose. Tim and Jon? Identical sizes.

Luckily, these two were incredible when it came to being in front of the camera. They didn't need a hint of posing advice, and instead did what any photographer dreams of a couple doing for a change: they focused on each other.

Here's a big thanks to Tim and Jon. For trusting me with their shoot, reminding me that a couple is a couple, and also for being such great subjects in front of the lens.

Tim & Jon, Week 51 of 52

52 Weeks: Tim & Jon (51/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Man, talk about a journey. This project has been such a huge influence on my photography. It has taken me from California, to Oregon, to the mountain, the coast, the beaches of Hawaii, and the cities of South Korea. I still wonder if I went to these places, or if the project took on a mind of its own, and I was simply along for the ride.

A year is a long time, but in retrospect, it isn't nearly as long as it should be. Looking back through all of the photos, organizing them, has been one hell of a nostalgic trip. An incredible one. So here we go, what's this week's photo?

A couples portrait! But not just any couples shot. The the first time, I've gotten to mix my love of landscape and couples thanks to an engagement shoot from yesterday, my first by the way! I've now got a new direction to my photography in weddings and engagements, and for the first time things are looking sustainable. I'm looking at the beginnings of a great small business, doing exactly what I love, with some truly wonderful people.

My next project will be coming soon, give me a week or so. I'm thinking I might set it on at least a year-long timeline. There is something to be said for the incredible pull of a photo project, literally pushing you out the door sometimes to capture a photo for a waiting audience that may or may not exist. If there is one thing this project has done for me, it's that I now have an insatiable urge to create photos. I can't not carry my camera. I can't not ask someone for their portrait. I can't not be a photographer.

I feel I'm only beginning to realize the true extent of that statement as I move down these new, exciting avenues.

It might be done, but my work isn't. There are new projects to come, new people to meet, and new images to create. I can't wait :)

This week, the last week: Week 52 of 52: To New Beginnings

52 Weeks: To New Beginnings (52/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

P.S:
I have been absolutely humbled by the amount of support I've gotten from everyone here on TPF. You guys not only inspired me to take on this project, but also to continue with it when I truly didn't think I could. You've taught me to be a photographer, and I can't thank you enough for that. Here's to you, TPF!

P.P.S: I'm considering posting a new thread with all 52 images consolidated into a single post. I know cross-posting isn't allowed, but would that be cool with folks? I figure it's easier for people than scrolling through 7 pages of images.

Firstly I'd like to congratulate you on completing such an amazing project. I can honestly say that there hasn't been a single image that I didn't enjoy. I'm looking forward to hearing about your next project/adventure. Keep clicking

Congrats! :smile:

P.P.S: I'm considering posting a new thread with all 52 images consolidated into a single post. I know cross-posting isn't allowed, but would that be cool with folks? I figure it's easier for people than scrolling through 7 pages of images.
I'd support that!

Most reactions

Back