550D noise?

It could be that I just expect too much from my camera lol. If its my technique thats the problem let me know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks a lot guys
I don't think the noise is excessive in these. You have to zoom before it is apparent. If anything here I would say up the ISO a stop to get a slightly faster speed (There may be very slight camera movement in one or two shots) and maybe give exposure compensation a slight plus. This way you can tweak the exposure in post. They look slightly under exposed to me but I am looking at them with an uncalibrated laptop. If you slightly over expose without clipping the highlights and have to bring it back in post it is a good way of reducing noise (a few have posted about this here so I tried it and it works quite good). Really though i don't think these examples are noisy for 400

I can get away with usable image at iso 1600. Of course I have to clean it up in post. But I try to stay under 800 if I can.
I shoot with the T2i

Are you applying any in-camera sharpening to the image? Try setting the sharpening slider all the way to zero in raw file before converting to jpeg.
None that I can remember. I avoid in camera processing as much as possible.

Which lens are you using? The kit lens? It's really not that great in low light, like the light in your pictures. You're better off to use that one when you have ample lighting. Faster glass will yeild much better results in low light envioronments.
Its the 18-55 IS II kit lens. I used a 1/200 shutter so I could use the flash instead of ambient as my main exposure. I could have probably gotten away with using 1/60 would that help my image quality?

Without coming across as being facetious, the camera manufacturers just love the newfound interest in photography with digital cameras. The vast majority of concerns in photo forums are with shooting in low light conditions. And folks, with their frustrations in not getting good images in low light are led to believe (via forums, etc) that getting a 'better' camera or faster lenses is going to be the ticket. So millions and millions of dollars are spent in this pursuit. Yes, one's odds will get better, but the fact is you need light, good light to readily get good images.
These images are not particularly 'noisy'. It's important to know that light falls off exponentially so with onboard flash like this it quickly becomes less-light, and that is where the perception of 'noise' comes into play.
Better technique, better lighting, and a better understanding can all help.
A 'pro' could use the same camera, or an even less expensive one and get good results.
The 'situation' of noise is across the board; a Nikon or Sony or whatever may or may not do 'better'. In fact, most P&S cameras will often yield better looking images, especially with JPGs, simply because they are overall tailored for less-experienced folks. It is often frustrating for those moving 'up' from a P&S to a DSLR when they find many images are not even as good.
Well said +1. I am well aware that I have a lot to learn still and will take any and all advice, what would you recommend to I do to improve?

I don't think the noise is excessive in these. You have to zoom before it is apparent. If anything here I would say up the ISO a stop to get a slightly faster speed (There may be very slight camera movement in one or two shots) and maybe give exposure compensation a slight plus. This way you can tweak the exposure in post. They look slightly under exposed to me but I am looking at them with an uncalibrated laptop. If you slightly over expose without clipping the highlights and have to bring it back in post it is a good way of reducing noise (a few have posted about this here so I tried it and it works quite good). Really though i don't think these examples are noisy for 400

I can get away with usable image at iso 1600. Of course I have to clean it up in post. But I try to stay under 800 if I can.
I shoot with the T2i

would you guys say that I would need to noise reduce these images or would I be okay with out doing it?

I think they are fine, but I am in the camp where noise does not bother me unless its really bad. I take it over any bit of blur any day. In day to day use a printed photo is where your photo shines. We rarely print very large so why process them as if we were going to

I think they are fine, but I am in the camp where noise does not bother me unless its really bad. I take it over any bit of blur any day. In day to day use a printed photo is where your photo shines. We rarely print very large so why process them as if we were going to
If I plan on printing 8x11 or smaller I should just leave it alone then? or whats the size where you think it will become apparent?

I don't think the noise is a problem. But if you're worried, lower it next time. If you're using flash, you may not need such a high iso

Most reactions

New Topics

Back