59 "One Dot" Pepsi

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Found this the other day in a box of "treasures" from the storage shed. The "One Dot" designation means it was after 1950 (in this case 1959), and refers to the one dot between Pepsi & Cola, prior to 1950 there were "Two Dots", and the clear glass areas in the logo were deep blue. Not quite sure how I needed to shoot this, I was afraid if I shot it as a black line, with the logo in such bad shape it would blow it out. In any case C&C?

Pepsi Bottle05092017_196.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's nice, a pretty cool bottle and the label is awesome. Not sure about the reflections though, at first I was thinking they don't distract too much but now I've noticed them they are bugging me more. I think its the apparent contradiction with the black studio background that doesn't sit well with the trees and sky in the reflection. So I'm thinking either shoot it in a natural environment wherd the reflections wouldn't be out of place, kill the reflections in the studio or use them to reflect something of the time period and integrate them into the shot more. The rest of the shot is well done, sharp, in focus good exposure etc.

Nice shot. A little nit would be the fold in the cloth, but it's minor.

1959 . . . I wonder if the ink is lead based.:D

Not sure about the reflections

Thank you Weepete. Seems like whenever I rush, I always forget something. Such was the case on this. Setup on the deck in full shade, with a handheld speedlight for fill. I knew the light from the side yard was there and knew I'd have reflections in the glass, but never connected the dots in my brain. The idea of tying something in from the time period as a reflection is a really good idea, that I'll have to try.

Nice shot. A little nit would be the fold in the cloth,

Thank you. I actually was using black foam core, because of being outside with a little wind. The fold is actually a seam where the two pieces met. If I get around to a do over inside, I'll use a black cloth to eliminate the seam. Whatever they put in the ink, it's pretty strong stuff.

Cool bottle. Well done. I have seen those in antique shops.

Cool bottle. Well done. I have seen those in antique shops.

Thanks JC. The single dots aren't that rare, usually >$10, the double dots in the $20 range (I may have one somewhere if I can find it). Many years ago, when my mother passed, we had a huge auction of household contents, and still managed to load a 53' trailer full of "stuff". Most of it went into our warehouse in military household crates where it sat for many more years. The crates where finally emptied a few years ago, but there's still a few boxes in our barn.

I love old stuff

Most reactions

New Topics

Back