5D mkii underexposing?

guitarkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.roxystudios.net
i'm not sure what it is but most of the shots i take with mkii are underexposed. i always shoot M and never had an issue with any of my previous canon bodies. i've had the 20d, 30d, 40d, 50d, 5d. if i set for iso, say iso1600 for indoors, and F5.6, and shutter, doesn't matter.....the meter is always in the middle, set for proper exposure...it comes out dark!

i then set to full auto to see what the cam would select. it chooses iso 800....half as much for indoors! the F is the same, and shutter a little different, and the shot looks great. i don't get it.

with any of my other bodies i have always started with iso, 100 usually outside, and 800 to 1000 indoors, then Fstop based on DOF and shutter accordingly. this is how i have done it for years. this mkii is just not cooperating.

bottom line..... regardless of settings, the meter is showing correct exposure but it's underexposed. maybe i need to jack the exp. comp setting or something, but i never had to do that before.

Last edited:

tsaraleksi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just figure out how the meter is reading then keep that in mind when setting your exposure. You needn't be a slave to the center of the dial.

What meter mode do you have it in, by the by?

soylentgreen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an over-exposeure problem. Sorta. My shots metered in the center are usually blown out in evaluative mode. Spot metering is an improvement, but I lose detail in the shadows. I pretty much shoot -1 EV and lighten in post. My 40D is spot on compared to the 5D mark II. Dunno if it's the FF and resolution. I should pick Canon's brain about this.

rufus5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.toddmckimmey.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't have a 5d, but my XTi consistently under exposes even really easy to meter scenes 1/3rd-2/3rds of a stop low. Not that this helps you in the slightest but when I contacted canon, they said that that was normal.

Most reactions

New Topics