6.1 million hectares of forests in New Brunswick.

RichardProtium

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Almost no old-growth forests.

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_4559-Pano.jpg

Which is why there’s climate change.

While deforestation is certainly a factor in climate change, the forestry industry in Canada is sustainable. The biggest problem is the replanting of large monocultures, which reduces the variety of flora and fauna. There are just very few areas that have not been harvested at one time or another. Even the largest National park in the province was logged before it was founded. No shortage of live trees here though.

The total area of the province is 7.1 million hectares, 6.1 of which is covered in forest. :)

Thats a lot of matches.

Which is why there’s climate change.

That a pretty simplistic view. You realize you're talking about an area the size of your country with 10 times the forest.
Maybe you should plant some trees.

I’d agree but my countries government attitude for most big issues is to do nothing and hope it all blows over .

Regarding the older forests, it’s these that benefit the planet beside they not only sequester the carbon dioxide but they store it for centuries. Commercial forest grow quickly yes but whatever carbon is captured this is just realise again as soon as there cut.

I’d agree but my countries government attitude for most big issues is to do nothing and hope it all blows over .

Regarding the older forests, it’s these that benefit the planet beside they not only sequester the carbon dioxide but they store it for centuries. Commercial forest grow quickly yes but whatever carbon is captured this is just realise again as soon as there cut.

Really, the only benefit of an old-growth forest is the ecology and beauty. A carbon sink is a carbon sink. The carbon in these trees is not released. Only a very small portion of the wood that is used as a fuel source releases its carbon back into the atmosphere.
The vast majority of the forestry industry in my province is devoted to paper products and lumber. This particular site is a huge lumber mill. Yes, eventually the lumber used to build a building will release the carbon back into the atmosphere. However, this will only happen when the building is gone and fungus break down the wood releasing CO2. The boreal forest that stretches across Canada is a huge carbon sink. Rivaled only by the oceans and the rain forests.

Last edited:

Really, the only benefit of an old-growth forest is the ecology and beauty. A carbon sink is a carbon sink. The carbon in these trees is not released. Only a very small portion of the wood that is used as a fuel source releases its carbon back into the atmosphere.
The vast majority of the forestry industry in my province is devoted to paper products and lumber. This particular site is a huge lumber mill. Yes, eventually the lumber used to build a building will release the carbon back into the atmosphere. However, this will only happen when the building is gone and fungus break down the wood releasing CO2. The boreal forest that stretches across Canada is a huge carbon sink. Rivaled only by the oceans and the rain forests.

Fair enough, you know your onions which is a good thing. There was a huge debacle here when it was decide we wouldn’t allow fracking and the government hatched a plan to convert a coal/peat burning power plant into a wood burning one and they were going to import the US.

Fair enough, you know your onions which is a good thing. There was a huge debacle here when it was decide we wouldn’t allow fracking and the government hatched a plan to convert a coal/peat burning power plant into a wood burning one and they were going to import the US.

Wow, I was unaware that wood is still used as a fuel source on an industrial scale. There are some homes that are heated with wood in Canada, but nothing large scale.

Wow, I was unaware that wood is still used as a fuel source on an industrial scale. There are some homes that are heated with wood in Canada, but nothing large scale.

Wood pellets I should clarify. Interestingly Lignite or brown coal, widely used in Germany for example now cause they dropped nuclear after Fukushima, gives of less energy then wood.

Most reactions

Back