What's new

New & pretty clueless

napawo

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 1, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Location
New Zealand
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

53 year old living in Christchurch, New Zealand here.

I wanted a hobby of some kind and always been interested in photography but put off a bit by the expense of buying equipment I took the plunge and got myself a few 2nd hand cameras - a Canon 5D mk III and a Canon AE-1.

I've taken nothing worth sharing so far though, I guess I just haven't developed any kind of eye for composition.
 
The 5D MKIII was a very good choice! That's my current camera as well, and I absolutely love it! What lenses did you get / plan to get? What sort of things do you want to photograph?

If you plan to shoot portraits, I highly recommend getting an 85mm lens to pair with that 5D. An EF 85mm f/1.8 is a great lens, and it's budget friendly. In most instances 85mm lenses work best outdoors or in large indoor spaces because they need a little bit of room.

I'm also looking forward to seeing your work.
 
Hi all

53 year old living in Christchurch, New Zealand here.

I wanted a hobby of some kind and always been interested in photography but put off a bit by the expense of buying equipment I took the plunge and got myself a few 2nd hand cameras - a Canon 5D mk III and a Canon AE-1.

I've taken nothing worth sharing so far though, I guess I just haven't developed any kind of eye for composition.
Hi and welcome! You can develop your eye with practice and research. Look at photos online (Instagram, Flickr, Reddit, TPF etc) and find what you like to look at. Try to identify what it is about the photo that you actually like. Is it the composition? Subject placement? The color? The blurry background? Subject isolation? What settings were used to take the photo? Use those insights when you’re taking your own photos.

My top tips
1- get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It’s a perfect starting point when you’re ready to move away from the Auto settings and start controlling the camera.
2- before you press the shutter, look all around the frame and see if there’s anything in there you don’t want or anything you want more of.
3- don’t be afraid of honest critique, it’s the best way to improve.
4- practice practice practice
 
Hi all

53 year old living in Christchurch, New Zealand here.

I wanted a hobby of some kind and always been interested in photography but put off a bit by the expense of buying equipment I took the plunge and got myself a few 2nd hand cameras - a Canon 5D mk III and a Canon AE-1.

I've taken nothing worth sharing so far though, I guess I just haven't developed any kind of eye for composition.
Welcome to the Forum! My favorite photography quote, from the great Cartier Bresson, - "Your first 10,000 photos are your worst." Keep shooting, and post some for comments.
 
Welcome. Seems you've already picked up a couple gateway drugs...Our photo dependency counsellors are online now!
 
Right on! That's very exciting I hope you have fun!

Welcome to the Forum! My favorite photography quote, from the great Cartier Bresson, - "Your first 10,000 photos are your worst." Keep shooting, and post some for comments.

yes that's a very good quote, and good advice
 
Nothing worse then the shot you didnt take. Don't be afraid to share or ask for comments on a photo good or bad its the only way to learn. Quite honestly we are learning as we go we are just in different spots in the journey.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom