6 legged bison

Rickbb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Actually a cow with calf, they keep the caves on the side away from strange creepy ole men with cameras. lol

More from Yellowstone NP, played with balance's of exposure, contrast, sharpness, etc. in LR. Not much just a smidge.
6 legged bison.jpg

I can't help but feel sorry for them every time I see a pic with their hair matted with the snow and ice. Really a nice photo.

I count 8 legs not 6?

Clever pic tho.

Thanks.

According to the biologists that I toured with, they roll around and get that snow matted on them to help insulate them from the winds.

Neat photo, but you're misscounting. That's not a 6 legger that's an 8 legger!

I can't help but feel sorry for them every time I see a pic with their hair matted with the snow and ice. Really a nice photo.

My understanding is that many animals used to winter conditions will often have a duel coat. So their fur is at least duel layered; one inner layer of much denser fur that insulates them and then a longer coat. The longer coat then gets snow attached to it which then freezes; creating a further insulating layer. The snow itself isn't touching the inner insulated body and it helps all keep the heat in.

Huskies are much the same, they will happily curl up in the snow; their outer coat keeping the inner coat dry and them warm. I've seen ours (well our previous one as we've not had proper snow for our current husky to see) by choice go outside in the dead of night and curl up in the snow happily instead of being inside in shelter.

When I was working at a small paper in Alabama, a man called me on a Saturday and told me that one of his Goats was born with 7 legs. I asked if it was alive, and he said Oh yeah, running all around. So, based on this, I drove the hour away because damn, a 7 legged goat, right? I get there, and no 7 legged billy goat running around. He takes me into a barn with a tarp on the floor and uncovers a very dead goat with 7 legs. I asked him why he lied to me and his response was "Well, I knew you wouldn't come take a photo if you knew it was dead...". He was astounded that I STILL wouldn't make a photo of it "since I was there...". Had to explain that the paper had a policy about publishing photos of dead 7 legged goats. Dohhhh!!! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back