6 month portrait thoughts

mommy22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these of my 6 month old the other day in Manual. What do you think of the composition, exposure etc?

keripsbw.jpg

keri-8.jpg

The colour is better than the black and white but the light reflected off the blanket setting the colour of the skin off toward a turquoise/green hue. Warming up the skin colour in postprocessing might help.

skieur

6monthK_e.jpg

Last edited:
How do I warm up just the skin...?

Ummm...Thanks for giving it a try but I like a more natural look, not the spray tan/fake colored contact lense look. :)

How do I warm up just the skin...?

The demon you are facing is the blanket. Because of her hat, the only light that is hitting the baby's face is the blue light that has bounced off the blanket. You'll notice how the baby's arms have a natural look, that's because the light is pure from the sky.

You could have used a light fill flash so that there was direct white light on her face. You could have also use a white reflector, or even just held up a white sheet or blanket to reflect some white light on to her face.

I like the more natural one but that blanket is just to....ummm, neon blue. It's too distracting.

I love the composition. she is a bit more "up" in the first photo.. but her smile is brilliant in the second.

I will have to agree with everyone about the coloring the blue of the blanket is causing her color to be flawed. possibly go with the suggestion of a white blanket

Im just gonna agree with everyone else here that the blue blanket is gonna be your enemy. Of course there will always be a PP way to fix most of that problem but if you are wanting to go easy on the PP so you can focus more on how to get it close to what you want coming out of the camera then go for blankets that compliment skin tones epecially when the sun is overhead and the reflection off the blanket is strong. But that aside she is just PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!! I did take a stab at getting rid of some of the blue hue off of her skin. I also got rid of the dark ridge of trees in the background so its an even horizon.

g.jpg

colors is definitely better,she is so cute. i cant help it when lookin at baby portraits i keep admiring the baby not the photo:lol:

How do you do a red filter and why did you do it? I took photography a long long time ago in the day of film but forgot why one chooses one colored filter over another...

Note to self-choose different colored blanket for 7 month portraits!!!!! lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back