6 Peephole Pics: Abandoned Dredge

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't remember where I originally found peephole lens instructions, but this includes information about the history and how-to of the diy fisheye: http://www.thedigitalstory.com/blog/2006/06/fisheye_lens_from_a.html

It's a lot of fun. I use electric tape to attach one to my crappy sony point and shoot. I love to abuse that thing.;)

469751882_66099bc110_o.jpg

469751896_430c8c8209_o.jpg

469751902_41605ab5d8_o.jpg

469770867_33e96b6634_o.jpg

469770871_2f35bab745_o.jpg

469771287_9a75454190_o.jpg

thats an interesing look. One problem that i see (and this will happen with any creative effect) is that it seems like, yeah, one is good, but if you start looking at sets of them that are all the same, they dont have the same effect. So i guess i like them more separately then together. I have that problem with my 40 dollar fisheye i bought, I get sick of looking at my pictures after a while when they're all the same wide angle black cornered photos... cool shots anyway

Oh yay! I thought this thread was dead.

I definitely see what you mean about them having the same look. These were just for fun. If I show them, I'll have to shuffle them in with some regular shots, so maybe people will be like, "Oooh!! Aaah!!" and forget that they just saw the same effect a few photos back. Maybe that would work?:lol:

Thanks for commenting.:)

that looks like a really cool place to take pictures

It's one of my favorite places.:sillysmi:

I really like these! That is a very creative way of creating a fisheye. Do you know of a dslr-version? :D

And I somewhat see what Shorty is saying, but have you tried cropping these? To get rid of the black corners?

pascal

a fun idea :)

I really like these! That is a very creative way of creating a fisheye. Do you know of a dslr-version? :D

And I somewhat see what Shorty is saying, but have you tried cropping these? To get rid of the black corners?

pascal

Thanks! I've seen slr-versions of them, but I haven't tried one yet. It involves drilling a hole in a spare lens cap and hot gluing the peephole on. Something along these lines, but it sounds like they didn't use hot glue:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/denim/82565796/

You could also drill a hole through a small block of wood, glue the peephole in, and the wood block onto the lens cap. (That would be sure to earn you a few curious looks.;)) As far as cropping, if I ever make prints from them, the 4x6 crop will eliminate most of the black border.

I kind of like the weird blurring spots, though I wish they were sharper in general. If you poke around on flickr, some people have much sharper images than mine. My little sony had a hard time focusing on anything through the peephole.

It is a lot of fun. A nice break from more "serious" photography.;)

Thanks everyone for your comments!:)

I like the wood block idea... Might be funny to axe the thing right out of an old door and use that, splintered ends and all! ^_^

Most reactions

Back