645D Fully Functional

That article is fairly out of date, and in the article they mention that they hadn't even worked out all the details on the sensor yet. Even so, I don't believe that many of the medium format digital backs currently available have sensors as large as 6cm x4.5cm. The Phase One P45, which with the name either suggests 45mp or 4"x5" format, is neither. They call it "full frame medium format", but the sensor is actually about 4.9cm x 3.7cm. I guess maybe they meant the notorious 5cm x 4cm format. ;)

I can't find it now, but I swear I was reading something this morning saying the Pentax 645D was going to be 30mp instead of the originally mentioned 18mp. I also remember reading in the press that was released originally that Pentax was going to try to introduce it at an MSRP around $2000 or $3000. I'm having a hard time realistically imagining a 30mp camera for $3000 right now, but I like to daydream!

It will be a 31.6 megapixel sensor. I was told a four and not a five figure price range and about a 1.5 images per second. If I may, I would say a release date sometime in the Fall of this year.

Ben

I'm seeing posts at photo.net saying the Pentax 645D is dead in the water. Any news Benjikan?

Well I've looked too and the blurbs I've looked at say its an 18mp camera with kodak developed ccd sensor, seeing as how kodak had a 14mp 35mm dslr it doesn't say much for the sensor size of a 645 which should be double the size of a full frame 35mm dslr, I'll wait n see. H

Harry... check some more up-to-date blurbs :D it was 31.6mp the last time Pentax had anything to say about it.

Matt, I see those posts... all I can say is I hope it isn't true. I like having variety and choice of systems but the market doesn't seem to be encouraging those things right now.

I trust detective Benjikan is on the case? ;)

Sorry, I stand corrected, just looked at the pentax site news release 2007 on this model, the other blurb was pentax too, 2006 press release stated 18mp. H

I'm seeing posts at photo.net saying the Pentax 645D is dead in the water. Any news Benjikan?

If so this is really bad news for pentax. With all the R&D put into this camera, to not sell it will really hurt the company.

Benji where are you???

ugh. It doesn't make sense for Pentax to abandon the pro level cameras and focus only on new users. They already make great camera's up to the prosumer level (K10D) but a major reason they dont sell more is because there isn't room to advance in their line. For us K10D users, a half on professional series cameras means if we want pro gear, we need to switch brands.

I would love to see a pro 35mm DSLR from pentax, and if they actually can the 645D for the time being, that is what they need to make if they want to stay truly competitive in this field. Take sony's lead, the alpha sold like crazy, and Sony is expanding the brand UPWARDS, not down with cheaper gear.

If that article is correct and they are going to abandon the DSLR lineup, I see a Sony or a Canon in my future, because the K10D is only going to be competitive for so long.

Benji, what say you?

I'd be happy with a digital insert.... iat least the old 645 and the newer AF 645 are suddenly competitive once again. I still believe there is a following of 645 owners that they can tap.

I'd be happy with a digital insert.... iat least the old 645 and the newer AF 645 are suddenly competitive once again. I still believe there is a following of 645 owners that they can tap.

it's not just devoted 645 users that would buy this camera though. The idea of digital Medium format is something many people will not get to experience, unless you can afford the 5 figure prices of the hasselblads. Pentax's MF camera is set to be a MF for 4 figures, throwing it into the much more available realm for independent pro's and those with lots of money. Even at 9,000 US, its much cheaper than the competition at 29,000 US.

Even at 9,000 US, its much cheaper than the competition at 29,000 US.

But at 18mp is it competing with the Hassy and Phase One backs, or the $7000 16mp Canon 1Ds MkII? They talked about more megapixels in the press releases, but the camera that was actually shown around was 18mp. I question their ability to produce a 30+mp camera for 1/3rd to 1/4th the price of everyone else, and still make any money. Right now they are trying to stay afloat, and maybe when the technology is cheaper they can offer us a 645 option.

It's about time to give up describing digital cams with film format sizes anyway. The most recent Phase One back's sensor is smaller than 5cm x 4cm, and it has a higher resolution than 4in x 5in film. Large format quality in a sensor that isn't even as big as the smallest medium format film.

Gee, I wish I could get a sweet deal with a manufacturer to use their high-end equipment! I've played with Pentax from time to time and owned a Pentax P&S -- I thought the lens on the P&S was outstanding, way better than the body (with its typically willful, sometimes perverse decision-making protocol) it was attached to, in fact.

It's about time to give up describing digital cams with film format sizes anyway. The most recent Phase One back's sensor is smaller than 5cm x 4cm, and it has a higher resolution than 4in x 5in film. Large format quality in a sensor that isn't even as big as the smallest medium format film.

Those phase one backs seem pretty insane.
My lecturer was telling us about them when he got to try them out.

Most reactions

Back