645D Fully Functional

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you haven't heard, the Pentax 645D was shown at the Tokyo Photo Show and was a working fully functional model...September looks good to me..

Ben

Benjikan,

Your posts are starting to sound like ads for Pentax.
If I did a web search, how many times would I find you posting the same things at different sites?

yeah, I cant make up my mind if you are just an avid pentax user who is glad they are finally making a mark in the digital realm, or if you are secretly a Pentax spokes person marketing for them.

but hey, another MF digital, I'm happy (not that I can afford it)

Benjikan,

Your posts are starting to sound like ads for Pentax.
If I did a web search, how many times would I find you posting the same things at different sites?

They are. It is called enthusiasm!

Ben

I just searched any found the same series of posts on 2 other sites - maybe more but I got tired of looking.

It sounds much more like promoting people who are giving you things.

Mr. Kanarek is definately all over the web talking up Pentax digital gear, and as I understand from his posts elsewhere Pentax is loaning him the gear to use. It is my opinion, due to the proliferation of similar posts, that he has some sort of agreement with Pentax to spend time on popular photography websites/forums posting about Pentax gear.

On the other hand, he does appear to be using the equipment for his pro photo jobs, and relating his experiences. As long as these are real jobs, not set up by Pentax, and the information/opinions are honest, then I think his posts are valuable. Just like anybody, you can google his name, read up on what you find, and decide for yourself.

Many photo magazines and bigger gear websites are straight up funded by Canon, Nikon, etc..., and post articles and reviews written by the camera manufacturers themselves, although they are usually presented as being independent. Canon and Nikon provide loaner gear to dozens, if not hundreds of pros to get more visibility. When I worked at a camera store Nikon and Canon (and other brands) paid bonuses to salespeople for selling (pushing) their gear; the salesperson got a lot more money for selling a Nikon/Canon SLR with a Nikon/Canon lens, than if they sold it with a cheaper Tamron or Sigma lens (remember that as the salesperson explains to you the magical properties that make Canon and Nikon brand gear superior to other established brands/manufacturers). The Nikon rep was one of the sleaziest bastards I've ever met.

At the worst, Benjamin is showing us that brand name really doesn't matter, and anyone competent should be able to get decent results from whatever gear they are using.

Mr. Kanarek is definately all over the web talking up Pentax digital gear, and as I understand from his posts elsewhere Pentax is loaning him the gear to use. It is my opinion, due to the proliferation of similar posts, that he has some sort of agreement with Pentax to spend time on popular photography websites/forums posting about Pentax gear.

On the other hand, he does appear to be using the equipment for his pro photo jobs, and relating his experiences. As long as these are real jobs, not set up by Pentax, and the information/opinions are honest, then I think his posts are valuable. Just like anybody, you can google his name, read up on what you find, and decide for yourself.

Many photo magazines and bigger gear websites are straight up funded by Canon, Nikon, etc..., and post articles and reviews written by the camera manufacturers themselves, although they are usually presented as being independent. Canon and Nikon provide loaner gear to dozens, if not hundreds of pros to get more visibility. When I worked at a camera store Nikon and Canon (and other brands) paid bonuses to salespeople for selling (pushing) their gear; the salesperson got a lot more money for selling a Nikon/Canon SLR with a Nikon/Canon lens, than if they sold it with a cheaper Tamron or Sigma lens (remember that as the salesperson explains to you the magical properties that make Canon and Nikon brand gear superior to other established brands/manufacturers). The Nikon rep was one of the sleaziest bastards I've ever met.

At the worst, Benjamin is showing us that brand name really doesn't matter, and anyone competent should be able to get decent results from whatever gear they are using.

I have been a Pro Photographer for over 25 years. I had used Canon for over eighteen years for my 35mm format and anything from Sinar to Horsemean to Fuji 680 to Bronica to Blad to Mamiya to Pentax to Yashica for my MF and larger support imagery. I was sponsored Officially by Canon up until recently when I switched to Pentax, which for me was a very serious move. I have used Pentax MF cameras for years, specifically the 67. Pentax have never asked me to post on forums. They have never provided any work for me, as my field of expertise is totally out of their domain. They are pleased however with my move to Pentax. Being that I garnered a considerable amount of press re: my Canon sponsorship, they were delighted with the fact that they could benefit by that exposure. Yes I do use Pentax now and they do provide material for me. But I never would have switched to Pentax if the product could not deliver the goods. That would be professional suicide. As to my posting on several forums. Absolutely. I wish to share my experiences with other photographers who may have been reluctant to use the K10D in professional applications. I see no reason that if one can use a Nikon D200 for a pro shoot, why not the K10D. Canon and Nikon have thousands of Pro users publicly acknowledging the use of specific models for specific applications. I don't see why there should be a double standard. If Pentax were to stop their partnership with me tomorrow, I would still continue to use the K10D and acquire their 645D when it comes out in the Fall of 2007.

Ah, just found this thread... here's what I posted in your other thread:

I have only seen a few of your threads. In all of them, you are very pleased with the results from working with Pentax. What I found a little superfluous in light of your former and current professional relationships was your post in which you wondered out loud if Canon had lost its way. I am not asking you to stop doing that, to explain your actions, or to somehow be any different than the rest of us - just be aware that it looks funny coming from someone who was sponsored by them, and then switched.

Does the name of the camera suggest that the sensor will be 6x4.5cm? I cannot find any info about the size of the sensor on the web. Also, what is its resolution? Depending on where I look it varies from 18 to 31 megapixels. Does anybody know the exact specifications of the camera and its expected price. I am just curious.

According to this article:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Pentax-Digital-645-Prototype-A-First-Look-.htm

we are looking at a 645 full frame.... If all is well when it is finally released, I'm ready to offload a lot of stuff to fund that 645D and dust off my beloved 645 manual lenses.... well.. depends on their asking price...

I've been following this prototype since it first came to light a few years ago. Still wish they implimented a digital insert instead but I bet packaging and power might have been an issue.

If Pentax were to stop my partnership with me tomorrow, I would still continue to use the K10D and acquire their 645D when it comes out in the Fall of 2007.

That's the most important bit of info right there.

I'm glad someone is speaking up for Pentax. I hope they can make it; I think more manufacturers competing is better for me. I shoot Canon DSLRs, and probably won't switch anytime soon, but when I shot 35mm film Pentax was my favorite of the big companies, and Canon my least favorite. I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews of the 645D, and I hope it lives up to what I expect from Pentax: great quality for a better price.

According to this article:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Pentax-Digital-645-Prototype-A-First-Look-.htm

we are looking at a 645 full frame.... If all is well when it is finally released, I'm ready to offload a lot of stuff to fund that 645D and dust off my beloved 645 manual lenses.... well.. depends on their asking price...

I've been following this prototype since it first came to light a few years ago. Still wish they implimented a digital insert instead but I bet packaging and power might have been an issue.

What puzzled me in this article is the picture comparing the sizes of the Pentax sensor and an APS size sensor. An APS size sensor (Canon) is 22.5x15.0=337.5mm2 and the Pentax sensor should be roughly 60x45=2700mm2. The Pentax sensor should be 8 times as big as the APS sensor and it does not look that way in the picture. The size seems to be closer to the size of the sensor in the Mamiya ZD (48x36mm).

What puzzled me in this article is the picture comparing the sizes of the Pentax sensor and an APS size sensor.

That article is fairly out of date, and in the article they mention that they hadn't even worked out all the details on the sensor yet. Even so, I don't believe that many of the medium format digital backs currently available have sensors as large as 6cm x4.5cm. The Phase One P45, which with the name either suggests 45mp or 4"x5" format, is neither. They call it "full frame medium format", but the sensor is actually about 4.9cm x 3.7cm. I guess maybe they meant the notorious 5cm x 4cm format. ;)

I can't find it now, but I swear I was reading something this morning saying the Pentax 645D was going to be 30mp instead of the originally mentioned 18mp. I also remember reading in the press that was released originally that Pentax was going to try to introduce it at an MSRP around $2000 or $3000. I'm having a hard time realistically imagining a 30mp camera for $3000 right now, but I like to daydream!

Now that you mentioned it... looks like the caption should have read
"Sensor comparison: 645 and 35mm". If thats a 60x45 sensor than the smaller one looks closer to 36x24mm.

Most reactions

Back