68 chevelle (4 pics)

NJ, the lighting used on the car portraits was as follows: 1 550 flash on a stand firing through a 12x16 softbox, triggered by a pocket wizard. I raised a black gobo to shade his face from the sun that was spilling onto him and making him squint a little bit as well.

Now, let's say I metered the sunlight at an exposure of 1/200, ISO 100, f8. If I meter the softbox at 1/200, ISO 100, f8 as well, then the exposure will be have a beautiful density and balance. I did this so that the background which was in harsh Las Vegas sun (ya know, the usual :) ) would have blown out and lost all detail had I not added the key/main light (softbox). Hope that makes sense.

so that the background which was in harsh Las Vegas sun (ya know, the usual :) )

well, for me it is not usual and I had no idea ;)

I can see now why the image looks as it looks ... when looking at it first, I was thinking in the soft ambient light categories over here and did not guess how much effort it took to get him illuminated properly ;) great job.

NJ, the lighting used on the car portraits was as follows: 1 550 flash on a stand firing through a 12x16 softbox, triggered by a pocket wizard. I raised a black gobo to shade his face from the sun that was spilling onto him and making him squint a little bit as well.

Now, let's say I metered the sunlight at an exposure of 1/200, ISO 100, f8. If I meter the softbox at 1/200, ISO 100, f8 as well, then the exposure will be have a beautiful density and balance. I did this so that the background which was in harsh Las Vegas sun (ya know, the usual :) ) would have blown out and lost all detail had I not added the key/main light (softbox). Hope that makes sense.

Jubba, I appreciate the explanation. That certainly is a detailed lighting setup, and honestly, I am not up to something as technical as that yet. But just same, thanks for describing it. I definitely learned something from it. All I use right now for extra lighting in portraits is my 580EX mounted to bounce off a 43 inch silver umbrella, which diffuses the light nicely, but I could really use a softbox at some point to give it (as you say) a nice balance. Thanks again for explaining! :)

I love the first and second ones, third was pretty good, but in the fourth, I found that he wasn't exactly the subject, now I'm not sure if that was the purpose so ya. good job anyways

Most reactions

Back