Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_6288-resized.jpg

Last edited:
I like the colors, and the contrast between the smooth shiney subjects and the rough background.

There's two things that leave it short of perfect. One is the shallow DOF, it leaves the tip of the standing bullet looking soft. That is somewhat anathema for bullets. The other is that most Western eyes read an image from left to right. If you reverse the image it might be slightly more powerful.

[EDIT]
[...] One is the shallow DOF, [...]
I shot this at f/8, at f/8 I basically had to decide which bullet to have in focus - no way to have both. I get what you're saying, and I agree. I didn't even try stopping down past f/8 (should have), I was afraid I would loose too much sharpness. I'll try it and see how it looks.[/EDIT]

There's two things that leave it short of perfect. One is the shallow DOF, it leaves the tip of the standing bullet looking soft. That is somewhat anathema for bullets.
Thanks. Good points - maybe a re-shoot is in order.

The other is that most Western eyes read an image from left to right. If you reverse the image it might be slightly more powerful.
I know that this is true, but I find myself doing the opposite regularly. Most of my photos flow from right to left. I don't know why this is...

Last edited:
IMG_6288-resized-reversed.jpg

Same image, reversed. Thoughts? The first one looks "right" to me.

Last edited:
More DOF. Better?
Composition is slightly different...

IMG_6305-resized.jpg

(edit- I see a dust spot or two that need to be cloned out...)
(edit, again- In case anybody is curious, these are Sierra MatchKing .308" 168 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail (HPBT) bullets.)

Last edited:
for me, its artistic

Thanks jv.

I like it alot. Have you considered focus stacking for this shot?

Those bullets...look like mini warheads :)

Have you considered focus stacking for this shot?

I've been wanting to try that (for a lot of things), but haven't yet.
Can GIMP do the merging? I also have the trial version of Paint Shop Pro, I'll probably buy it soon though (I can't remember if there are certain tools that you can't use in the trial...).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back