70-200 f/2.8 zoom problem

I have no intention of disassembling it, I know there are skills and equipment required that I just don't have.
I was hoping to hear something like "...oh, just a little distilled water..." I was thinking of that but am afraid of the water getting on the glass and rendering the lens useless. It works fine right now, I just can't adjust the zoom. And, on top of that, it is probably the best lens I own so I don't want to risk hosing it totally.

One problem is I retired to Belize (I know..big problem!!) and things just don't work here like back in the US. I'll have to drive almost 2 hours one-way to get to a FedEx drop off and shipping will be hideously expensive. Getting it back is easier and less expensive but time consuming.

The danger is not water on the front element, it is water getting INTO the lens, and maybe damaging the AutoFocus circuits.

I know what you mean about where you live.
I had a similar problem when I lived in Hawaii.
There was no UPS ground service, only AIR $$$. So any shipping to/from Hawaii was expensive.
And depending on where you lived on which island, up to 3 hours drive from a UPS station.
It was much easier to ship via US Postal. At least the post office was easier to get to.

gud luk

The danger is not water on the front element, it is water getting INTO the lens, and maybe damaging the AutoFocus circuits.

I know what you mean about where you live.
I had a similar problem when I lived in Hawaii.
There was no UPS ground service, only AIR $$$. So any shipping to/from Hawaii was expensive.
And depending on where you lived on which island, up to 3 hours drive from a UPS station.
It was much easier to ship via US Postal. At least the post office was easier to get to.

gud luk

I should have said "internal glass" but I never considered the internal electronics. That is an excellent point and another reason to leave it be.

Receiving things here is not too bad, just time consuming. Anything I order from the US gets delivered to a company in TX that specializes in shipping to Belize. They collect packages and ship via boat every two weeks or so. Then they will deliver to my door via truck. Cigars for me and sandals for the wife arrived just Sunday.

Maybe I can try to talk the wife into letting me get a new one...

The Nikon which is why I posted in the Nikon lenses sub-forum
Apologize on that. I didn't see the title.

iI its an electronic, itill be similar to the Sigma. (obvious diff. involved.)
But if its a push pull, the number of lenses I have disassembled has shown that it usually is in the housing.
in both instances though, and unfortunately, it sounds like a pro job to be done if you haven't done the work.
Also if in Belize, you have humidity and a self-job will introduce that moisture into the lens and cause the dreaded fungi to play.

Apologize on that. I didn't see the title.

iI its an electronic, itill be similar to the Sigma. (obvious diff. involved.)
But if its a push pull, the number of lenses I have disassembled has shown that it usually is in the housing.
in both instances though, and unfortunately, it sounds like a pro job to be done if you haven't done the work.
Also if in Belize, you have humidity and a self-job will introduce that moisture into the lens and cause the dreaded fungi to play.

No worries, I appreciate that people are trying to help.

Most reactions

Back