$79 Lens-Is there distortion I'm missing?

Quality probably varies on these lenses, I have the Quantaray 70-300 which is just a re-badged Sigma, while it may be a little softer than pro-quality lenses I have no complaints. All these were taken at 300mm.

zoo_0792.jpg

zoo_0841.jpg

moon2.jpg

The funny thing is that in my experience it is often around-the-house shots that are some of the most demanding equipment wise, considering that houses tend to be quite dark.

There doesn't look to be anything wrong with the lens given the examples you are posting, but it is usually only when used 'to the max' that lenses really show their colors, if you will. Stopped down most will be just fine, though you may see some difference in color or contrast.

Mike, the detail in the second ram picture is amazing! Did you sharpen it at all?

These pics were taken with the Sigma-do they do the lens any justice?

08_17_2008_0685-2.jpg

08_17_2008_0768-1.jpg

08_17_2008_0791-1.jpg

08_17_2008_0830-1.jpg

08_17_2008_0860.jpg

Mike, the detail in the second ram picture is amazing! Did you sharpen it at all?
There was probably a mild amount of sharpening on that 2nd shot...but the first one has had a lot of sharpening applied...probably too much. As you can see, sharpening in post is not the same as getting a sharp shot with a top quality lens.

Your shots look good, there certainly doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them...and that's what you can get with the cheaper lenses. But pro lenses just have that extra 'pop' that I mentioned.

If I read right Stsinner has the non-apo edition - the older version of the sigma

That's right-I have the non-APO version. I believe the only difference is one coated element.

Any Nikon people know of a lens that is comparable to that 70-200. I have seen some people knock certain lenses like the 18-200. What a good lens to save up for in the super lens category for me (under $2000?)

The 70-200/2.8 VR is a pretty knock-out piece of glass, but there is also the 80-200/2.8 that should be a fair bit cheaper, and the Sigma 70-200/2.8 which should be even cheaper still. All of these lenses will be a huge step up and will really be exciting to use, I think.

Thanks for those recommendations. Have you used them all?

Looks like about $740 for the Sigma, and that's a sweet looking lens! What's weird is that is says that the overall length doesn't change during focusing OR zooming... And it's internal focusing, which is nice.

Last edited:
Thanks for those recommendations. Have you used them all?

Never used the Sigma, just seen positive feedback on it, but I've used the other two, the 80-200 moreso than the 70-200VR (because I got the 7-2 for the weekend along with a 300/2.8.. which I much preferred playing with).

The 80-200 is an older lens, but it's still excellent.

Give me a sec and I'll scare up some sample shots for you.

Where did you get this lens for $79?

It was an eBay posting by 47st Photo. I subsequently called Sigma with a question about it because I couldn't get the macro switch back to normal (turns out you have to be focused on something more than 10 feet away..) and the lady at Sigma told me that I got a great deal because the lens will sell for $150 all day long... I was quite pleased with that news..

http://stores.ebay.com/47th-Street-Photo

Last edited:
i got the sigman 70-300 to and iv taken some good shots with it but it is soft. The macro shots will never be as sharp as youd like.

I have the sigma 70-300 APO and i love it. I used a canon 70-200 F4 L non IS before making the purchase and I just couldnt justifiy paying 500 more for the L. I know that may be crazy but I really like the sigma. It works well for what i shoot. I shoot candid street shots and it is usually in really good lighting so i have no problems with getting a good shutter speed so i can consistently get sharp shots even at 300mm. I will admit that the L does make the pics pop but not enough to justify that extra. I can just make my pics pop in PP and they turn out great.

You got a good deal on that lens. Cant wait to see more shots.

examples:
214mm
2461034168_4db7e5db58.jpg

119mm
2461034496_a4b4569c22.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back